I got some ATmega88A chips by accident, is it worth trying to set them up?

This is actually my first attempt at a breadboard arduino, I made a rookie mistake and assumed it would be equally easy to get any atmega chip working with the arduino IDE. It didn’t take me long to realize just how wrong I was, but despite that I managed to get a bootloader uploaded and modify the boards.txt file so the IDE has a profile for the atmega88. Unfortunately when I try to upload a sketch I get an error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I’ve been stuck on that error for a couple hours now and I’m wondering if it isn’t worth just writing this project off and getting some ATmega168 or 328 chips instead, at least until I’m a bit more experienced.

I’ve been mostly following this guide

http://www.morethantechnical.com/2012/04/04/bootloading-an-atmega88-for-arduino-w-code/

I uploaded his bootloader (using arduinoISP and AVRDUDE) and his fuse settings as well. I also did a copy paste job with his modification to boards.txt in order to get the arduino software to recognize the ATmega88.

After I got everything I described above working, I pried out the chip from the arduino I was using to program (as shown in the official arduino to breadboard tutorial) and I connected tx and rx from my arduino to the breadboard with the chip (tx to rx and rx to tx) but I got that error I pasted in above every time I tried to upload a sketch. After a couple hours of googling I’m all out of ideas and I’m really hoping that someone here can lend some experience.

Thanks in advance.

Don't give up, they're quite easy to set up :) If you have a little patience you can always use the core I'm working on. it will support the whole device family ;)