I have a couple of questions if no one minds

Ok so I'm building a toy car as a project for myself using an arduino board to control it, legos to build a frame, and a sega genesis controller.

Now I've been doing some research on the subject for each part (I have the arduino board and have gotten pretty good at using it), and I am reading up on the H-Bridge for controlling the two motors to power the wheels (really simple now I just have to order one later on), and I did some light reading on RFID (I wanna use it as a "key" for the car).

But my main question is this, I know the pin outs to the sega genesis controller and I know it uses the same kind of set up as a atari 2600 joy stick. But I haven't been able to find a tutorial on the play ground about how to set one up(I was just looking for a basic idea so I know where to start). I saw one a while back but I lost the book mark to it and couldn't find it since, I was hoping if someone has a starting guide on what to do. Also I don't feel like cutting my genesis controller(I bought it used at a pawn shop and it was the best they had), but I was thinking about using this.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102497

To plug up to the genesis and solder wires to the D-sub Connector, I can't really check atm but i was hoping anyone would know if that would work off hand.

Thanks for all the help, I hope I'm not coming off as needy on this. I just need something to jump off on to be honest >_>.

I saw a post on the sega but I haven't done it myself. http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1284844947/4

I made a lego car using dc motors and a motor shield: http://www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/

I also connected a small servo to the motor shield to turn the steering wheel.

The Atari 2600 joystick is just 5 switches connected to ground. You'll have no trouble finding pinout info on the web, and the standard examples for handling pushbuttons will do the job for you.

If you're only going to be controlling two motors, I recommend against the Adafruit motor shield: I'm a huge fan of her designs, in general, but she used up a lot of I/O pins to get control of two motor driver chips. If you don't need both (i.e., you're not running two steppers or 4 DC motors), it's a real drawback.

NKC has a simple board for two motors that looks good on paper, but I haven't tried it, myself.

Don't overlook the heatsink for the motor driver chip: there have been many posts from people who did, and regretted it. The odds are good that motors strong enough to move even a small a robot will draw enough current to need one.

Thanks for the input, I was able to get the "Up" button on the genesis controller to work, now I just have to soldier the wires to the D-Sub part I bought (it fits but it's tight). And I can start coding for the controller, then the RFID.

I have a new question about the genesis controller now, So I get every button but the A and Start Button to work (the two that require the select pin to be GND). I'm having problems with that one, I even have the select pin running with a ground wire and it still doesn't let A work (for some reason B still is working and it even says the select pin is 0). Any reason for this, and how to fix it i'm kinda at a loss >_>