I have an Idea that involves a broken cassette player.

Hey everyone! I am brand new to this stuff and I was looking for some guidance on a project idea I had. I want to take a broken cassette player apart and turn it into an mp3 player. I am a sucker for chunky buttons and nice clicks so I would love to use the buttons to control the player.
My original idea before being directed to Arduino would be taking apart a cheap mp3 player and splicing the buttons to the original terminals of the player. That way it would be a mostly hardware project. I am wondering if this project is viable to pursue or if anyone knows of any other projects that I could look at for guidance.
Thanks in advance,
Neb

The problem is most of the cassette buttons are mechanical ; you’ll need to get inside and configure some form of electrical switch for each button , then go from there

That's the tricky part! Would mounting smaller buttons at the end of the big buttons work? Like a momentary button?

Many Projects and products in your home work that way. For example, my doorbell has a large plastic button that People press to ring the bell. However, that button is purely mechanical and does nothing more than Transfer the pushing onto a mini Switch soldered onto a Printed circuit board deeper inside the module.

Ah, thanks for the tip! There is just something satisfying when you push a chunky button. In your opinions should I use for the brains of the project? I honestly don't think an Arduino can decode mp3s. Should I just go with my original idea of gutting a cheap mp3 and wiring it to the case or have you guys heard of an Arduino powered mp3 player? In my research, I have found a majority of web-based music players.

My friend Matt had a similar idea a few years back. He used a Pi to get an old cassette deck to play his Spotify playlists. He also repurposed the buttons, but it's not clear how he did it. He is not a member here, but I can contact him if you need. He is a busy man these days.

These "DFPlayer Mini" MP3 player modules are cheap, easy to use with Arduino and can drive a small mono speaker directly:

$_1 (4).JPG

You might not even need an Arduino when using these players. You can wire you buttons for play, pause, next track etc directly to the player.

$_1 (4).JPG

Thanks, Paul. That is a really promising looking article. I think I will give it a look over. The only aspect I wish I could change is the usage of an online music service. From the sounds of it, this project has some legs. I am happy to hear that you everyone thinks that I can create this. The DFPlayer Mini sounds promising.

Here is the cassette player I am planning to use.

*edit still getting used to this forum. Attachments are just images of the player. Might upload them to imgr for future posts

Inserting images into your post is an awkward two stage process. You just did stage 1. Then copy the address of the image, modify your post, click the insert image icon and paste in the address. Like this.

Thanks for guiding me on this