I have bricked 2 arduinos need advice.

I am new to electronics and robotics world, I am learning about making robots, motors and Arduino so please excuse me if I say something wrong.

I am doing a project of robot car 4x4 with johnny-five nodejs client for Arduino firmata firmware.

Main components used

1. Stonkraft robot chassis (StonKraft Kit de Montaje mecánico eléctrico 4WD | Ingeniería Experimentos de Ciencia DIY | Proyecto de construcción de circuitos | Chasis robótico de 4 Ruedas de Doble Capa con 4 Motores : Amazon.es: Juguetes y juegos)
  2. 4x dc motors 150 rpm
  3. Arduino UNO rev 3
  4. Raspberry Pi 3
  5. Adafruit motor shield v1 (Movilideas - Modulo Motor Driver Shield Controlador Servo L293D Puente H : Amazon.es: Electrónica)
  6. Battery for motor shield: (11v,3600mAh,40Wh,3s 30c)
  7. Powering and tethering Arduino via USB cable from raspberry pi 3
  8. Powering raspberry pi via battery pack 5v

Everything was working fine and suddenly I saw smoke coming from Arduino near the USB cable both times and both Arduinos don't work anymore.

My fear is that motor shield may also be powering Arduino already and then I am also powering it via USB cable because I need it to tether with raspberry pi over the serial port since I am using the johnny-five nodejs library for programming.

How can I not burn more Arduinos?
Is there some jumper on the motor shield that I have to change?

Wiring diagram

It will be hard for anyone to diagnose your issue given the detail provided. Wiring diagram will help.

However i'll take a stab...are you powering your devices from the Arduino? If so you may be exceeding the power capability of the arduinos voltage regulator. I've destroyed a few NANO by powering hungry devices directly from the arduinos power supply.

KrisKasprzak:
It will be hard for anyone to diagnose your issue given the detail provided. Wiring diagram will help.

However i'll take a stab...are you powering your devices from the Arduino? If so you may be exceeding the power capability of the arduinos voltage regulator. I've destroyed a few NANO by powering hungry devices directly from the arduinos power supply.

Hi thanks for the reply, I have updated my post with a wiring diagram, maybe you are correct but as you can see I intend to power my motors via the external power supply, so I am not sure if I have some jumper on it which is incorrectly installed on the motor shield.

(EDITED) I have just posted a link to the source for a reference of schematics or if I missed some important details about the components used than maybe it's helpful to look at the description on resellers page.

Hi,
Have you looked at the Adafruit site?

This page in particular;

Tom... :slight_smile:

The link for the motor shield clearly shows a jumper and I would not mind putting money on that to be for the voltage to the shield. It looks like a generic shield so you would need to get the schematic from the supplier to be sure.

Read the pages Tom gave you.

The arduino itself is not really capable of supplying the current needed for most motors and I would concur that you have probably blown your boards.

To be sure disconnect everything and remove the shield and then plug it into your computer and if it shows up properly in device manager you can move on to trying to upload some simple sketches.

If it does not show up kiss the boards goodbye.

Bob.

Thank you very much Tom and Bob.

I will look into the resources that Tom provided and I will try to find out what that jumper is supposed to do and in the end, it feels like I was too careless while playing with these delicate electronics.

I'll report back on my findings on the same.

I have found two very important points from the resources that Tom provided

There are two places you can get your motor 'high voltage supply' from. One is the DC jack on the Arduino board and the other is the 2-terminal block on the shield that is labeled EXT_PWR. The DC Jack on the Arduino has a protection diode so you won't be able to mess things up too bad if you plug in the wrong kind of power. However the EXT_PWR terminals on the shield do not have a protection diode (for a fairly good reason). Be utterly careful not to plug it in backwards or you will destroy the motor shield and/or your Arduino!

and the second one is

If you would like to have the Arduino powered off of USB and the motors powered off of a DC power supply, plug in the USB cable. Then connect the motor supply to the PWR_EXT block on the shield. Do not place the jumper on the shield. This is a suggested method of powering your motor project
(If you have a Diecimila Arduino, don't forget to set the Arduino power jumper to USB. If you have a Diecimila, you can alternately do the following: plug the DC power supply into the Arduino, and place the jumper on the motor shield.)

In my case jumper was on and I certainly didn't intend to power my Arduino via single dc supply.