I have ESP8266 NodeMCU board with Wifi - How to disable Wifi Auto Connect?

In running test examples for a test FTPServer, once I keyed in my wifi ssid and password and ran the example the esp8266 connected to the wifi.

I have create a new sketch and it does not use the WIFI.begin anywhere. However after my code executes, then the serial monitor shows the Wifi connecting to the wifi network.

SO I assume there is a auto connect setting that the wifi has stored along with the SSID and Password in flash memory somewhere.

1. Where did the SSID and password get set?
  2. Is there an autoconnect feature that can be turned off so I can control when the app will connect to the wifi network?

Randy

Well I used basic AT commands with Serial Monitor.

http://room-15.github.io/blog/2015/03/26/esp8266-at-command-reference/#AT+CWMODE

Not sure about Auto connect. I needed AT+CWJAP="SSID","password" to test, and AT+CWQAP to disconnect, there was nothing automatic about it, but that is just me, :slight_smile:

agrp87132:
Well I used basic AT commands with Serial Monitor.

ESP8266 - AT Command Reference · room-15

Not sure about Auto connect. I needed AT+CWJAP="SSID","password" to test, and AT+CWQAP to disconnect, there was nothing automatic about it, but that is just me, :slight_smile:

I have found that until you do AT+CWQAP, my ESP-01 will try to auto connect.
I can see the WIFI CONNECT in Serial Monitor soon after I do a reset on the module.

So are these command enter via the Serial Monitor?

I entered AT commands in serial monitor and nothing happens.

Which baud rate is your Serial Monitor set at?
Also you probably need CR and LF.

though instructables is not very popular with senior members of this forum

for node mcu google martyn currey

I think 115200 default baud rate and CR and LF as suggested by ieee488

I have the baud at 9600 and selected CR and LF on the line returns. I think the AT+CWQAP worked because then board is no longer trying to connect to the wifi network.

I just did not get a response back on the serial monitor.