I have no idea where to start with this project and I'd like some advice

Hello, my name is Sean. I'm looking for advice regarding an honors STEM senior research project I am completing for my High School. My goal is to create a robot that can

interface with 4 motors with pid's/encoders a RPLIDAR system that uses a "3.3V-TL serial port (UART) as the communication interface" an IC2 sensor and it needs to be able to be wirelessly controlled with a gamepad (something like a logitech F310, standard stuff)

can arduino do this? what specific hardware do i need to complete my project? any other tips or advice?

Motors and rotary encoders are fine. PID, as in proportional-integral-derivative controller is not something you interface with. It's a type of control software. Wireless control can be done. IC2 sensor? What kind of sensor?. There is a thing called I2C, but it's a bus, a way for the sensor to communicate, not a type of sensor. Or is it not important what kind of sensor you use as long as it's using I2C?

Don't expect Arduino to be able to process RPLIDAR data into anything remotely resembling a 3D map of a room. You need a computer for that.

If you have no Arduino experience that sounds like a very complex project.

...R Planning and Implementing a Program

SeanRoelofs:

1) interface with 4 motors with pid's/encoders

2) RPLIDAR system that uses a "3.3V-TL serial port (UART) as the communication interface"

3) an IC2 sensor

4) it needs to be able to be wirelessly controlled with a gamepad (something like a logitech F310, standard stuff)

can arduino do this? what specific hardware do i need to complete my project? any other tips or advice?

1, 3 and 4 are common, done every day, you can find lots of code for these things.

2 ? depends on what data you are trying to get. if you mostly only want to know how close you are to the closest object, the demands on tracking are minimal. if you want to identify an object, then use that as a reference, things will be much more intricate.

just google what you want and add 'arduino' to the search. RPLIDAR arduino

or I2C arduiono

or jacket arduino

you will find lots of reading to help you over the basics.

(I realized my first post didn't give enough information, so this is a new one)

Hey guys, so my name is Sean and I am building a robot for my Honors STEM Senior Capstone Project. I have 3 years of FIRST Tech Challenge experience, so I am fairly comfortable with robotics in general, but I have never used arduino before. I also am currently taking AP Computer Science, which is based off of Java, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I plan for my robot to have a single setup (project budget of $600 or so), but be able to do several different things. I want to be able to:

remotely control it using a gamepad (maybe F310, standard stuff) have it not allow the driver to run into anything (using LIDAR, Light-Radar) have it follow an IR beacon while navigating obstacles and avoiding collisions have it follow the side of a wall all the way around the school without running into anything

To do that, I realize I am going to need a central control/processing unit that can interface with at least 4(+?) motors (with PID control) an IR sensor a wireless gamepad a LIDAR system

as far as LIDAR goes, I could either create my own using a single laser distance sensor and a motor/servo or i was looking at an RPLIDAR system http://www.robotshop.com/en/rplidar-360-laser-scanner.html I was planning on using the LIDAR to generate a 2D point cloud where I can then navigate the robot around obstacles

1) Can Arduino interface with all of the above sensors/motors at the same time? What arduino model should I get? 2) Do I need separate motor controllers or can 4 motors with their PID's be hooked directly to the arduino? 3) What do you think I should do about the LIDAR system?

Do not cross-post. Threads merged.

Now that we have a lot of useful extra information I still think my comment (and link) in Reply #2 is relevant.

Write several short Arduino programs to allow you to learn about each part of your project separately. When you can get all the bits and pieces to work separately you can start to join them together.

By comparison with an Arduino many PC programming techniques are very wasteful of resources - which makes sense on a PC as it saves expensive programming time - so you may be faced with more learning than you expect.

Don't use the delay() function and don't use Strings (capital S).

...R

use arduio yun

If you live in the US, you might consider purchasing a netpad like below and using that for the brain of the bot. The below netpad probably can run the apache web server to interface with the net and control an arduino. It has skype so you can see where the bot is going and talk to any people encountered. When the bot stuff is done, you still have a useful piece of equipment.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/871104/Lenovo-S21e-Laptop-Computer-With-116/