i have parts from a failed project need idea's to reuse them

hello so me and my group were doing a graduation project about an automatic tyre inflation system and we ended up making a prototype of the system towards the end which didnt end up functioning due to issues in either the coding or the electric wiring of the components, anyways the parts ive salvaged from the project are as follows:

1. arduino mega R3 microcontroller ( came with a starter kit of lights buttons wires and whatnot)
  2. two 3/2 solenoid valves for air normally closed.
  3. 1.5 HP, 6L compressor& tank with a regulator and pressure relief valve
  4. 2 way channel relay
  5. 12V dc battery
  6. some pneumatic tubing with various fitting for the valves
  7. a car tyre
  8. some electric wires

thats about all i can remember salvaging if a project idea is interesitng enough to do im willing to purchase extra parts, keep in mind my background is in aeronautical engineering but ive grown to find arduinos interesting and wouldnt mind learning new things, also this project will be just for fun in my free time.
Thanks in advance!

A robot spray painter?

It would seem pretty obvious that all that stuff is best suited for making some sort of tyre inflation system.

Buy more solenoid valves. Build organ pipes or membrane horns or both. Create a very loud automatic instrument.

Build an artistic installation with parts moving and rotating from blowers.

Power some hobby steam engines with the pressured air.

Speaking of automatic instruments and membrane horns, here's an idea.

Three linear actuators operate on the three valves of a trumpet. An air pressure device controls the pressure of air supplied to the air sealed chamber around the mouth piece. A linear actuator controls the pressure of a rubber membrane pressing against the mouth piece. This detail resembles the mechanism of a standard truck horn, though truck horns have preset pressures on the membranes to give one particular frequency resembling the length of the horn.
The idea is to calibrate the right pressure of the membrane and the air pressure for each desired tone of the instrument.

OK, so when I go to the petrol station, there is an automatic inflator (since people nowadays can't manage the old manual one) with a display, four buttons and a hose. This is what you were supposed to emulate.

Oh well ...

Wow... Times really have changed... It's been well over 20 years since I've inflated a car tyre, but I remember it was a matter of pressing the tube on the nozzle and watch the dial for the pressure. No buttons to deal with.

Things really have become much more complicated! Not sure if I will be able to manage that.

No, it is actually quite easy with these automatic inflators. You use the up/ down buttons to set the desired pressure, either in psi or that kPa thingy which I have never been able to get used to even though we are metric, then as long as you do not wait too long and it auto-resets to 32 psi, you just connect it to each tyre and it goes through a series of inflate/ measure cycles and beeps when it is right.

I do like to have the display in sight when I connect it to see just how low the tyre was to start with.

Th reason they moved away from the old gauge ones was obviously that having it on the end of the hose meant it got bashed around on the concrete and frequent replacement or occasional theft/ vandalism was expensive. The simple connector on the end of the hose is much cheaper and the only big problem is vehicles crashing into the column.

How about a self loading ping pong ball launcher for practicing handing hot serves ?

wvmarle:
Things really have become much more complicated! Not sure if I will be able to manage that.

Indeed you might not. The biggest problem with them is to get the bloody fitting to stay on the valve, something that was never an issue back in the day, you simply pushed harder.

Guthix619:
if a project idea is interesitng enough to do im willing to purchase extra parts

The best thing of a new project is always that you have to buy new parts, and increase your parts collection. It never goes like “I have these parts, what can I build with it?” The proper order is: “I want to build this, I need those parts”. Then you start digging around your collection of unused parts from all those other projects that didn’t work or ended up needing different parts, see what you have, buy what else you think you need.

Nick_Pyner:
Indeed you might not. The biggest problem with them is to get the bloody fitting to stay on the valve, something that was never an issue back in the day, you simply pushed harder.

The same pushing that actually made the air flow… so that was indeed not an issue.