I keep getting errors and some I cannot understand

I am building an arcade drive robot and I cannot figure out what my errors are. I am a bit of a noob, but I know enough to write a code and some basic debugging. Each time I fix an error, I run into a new one. here’s the code:

void setup(int x, int y); //make joystick arcade style controller

int powY;
int powX;
int powRightMotor;
int powLeftMotor;
int powmotordriveright;
int powmotordriveleft;

void loop()
{
// convert joystick -128 to 127 range to -100 to 100 for powering motors
powY = (y * 100) / 127; //joystick y axis gives maximum power level
powX = (x * 100) / 127; //x axis determines which motor is reduced or
//reversed for a turn

if (powX < 0) //if x negative, turning left; otherwise, turning right

powLeftMotor = (powY * (100 + (2 * powX))/100); //left motor reduced for right turn
powRightMotor = (powY * -(100 + (2 * powX))/100); //right motor is reversed

else

powRightMotor = (powY * (100 - (2 * powX))/100); //right motor reduced for left turn
powLeftMotor = (powY * -(100 + (2 * powX))/100); //left motor reversed

powRightMotor = powmotordriveright;
powLeftMotor = powmotordriveleft;
}

here are the current errors:
MOTOR.ino: In function ‘void loop()’:
MOTOR:13: error: ‘y’ was not declared in this scope
MOTOR:14: error: ‘x’ was not declared in this scope
MOTOR:23: error: ‘else’ without a previous ‘if’

Yes, there may be obvious problems so please no hate messages!

The setup function doesn't take parameters. You're not supposed to call it, you're supposed to define it.

void setup(int x, int y); //make joystick arcade style controller

So, how do you think i should go about doing that? should i put int x and int y with the rest? and void setup used to be void arcade

nickdacreeper:
So, how do you think i should go about doing that? should i put int x and int y with the rest? and void setup used to be void arcade

I can’t follow what you want it to do. But i’m pretty sure that if you want to control some motors with a joystick, you’re going to need some code somewhere to read the joystick.

There has never been a void arcade() function in the Arduino bare bones sketch. I don’t know what you are talking about there.

Maybe you should back burner this project and work through some of the examples until you can see how a basic sketch is put together. Hacking your way through and trying to invent your own syntax is just going to lead to frustration.