i must be running out of memory... right?

so i am making a decision tree that is quite large. nearly 75 nodes (28 chars, 3 node pointers.), when i upload the project to my arduino it says it uses just over 6/32 KB. but it hangs, so i did some trouble shooting on it and only uncommented 1 line at a time. it worked great until it was about 70% down my code. then it hangs up big time.

does that 6KB estimate from the IDE account for values that use "new" in it? or is my arduino uno just having issues with the load of the program? if it helps i can load my code up, but its very lengthy.

if i am running out of memory, is there anything i can do cheaply to extend the memory? in the end i wanted to add this to an attiny 85 since it uses so little pins.

does that 6KB estimate from the IDE account for values that use "new" in it?

No that is just the size of the code. It is not the size of the memory taken up by variables. The normal arduinos only have 2K ( SRAM )for this. There are things you can do to minimise SRAM usage by moving strings into program memory, look at the F option.

if i am running out of memory, is there anything i can do cheaply to extend the memory?

Not much. You can use a Mega that has 8K and that model can be extended or you could use a Due.

in the end i wanted to add this to an attiny 85 since it uses so little pins.

That is not going to happen.

gah i cant believe i didnt realize that before... that would perfectly explain why my arduino was hanging...

so i looked breifly into the progmem, it seems fairly easy to use but ill ask just in case.

the way i read it is if i needed to store a string, i can change: char question[28]; into; char question[28] PROGMEM; ?

edit: never mind i read into it and its not that simple. thanks for the help ill look into using it. im not sure if this would work since i would have to define the table of variables for all my questions.... but im still looking into it.

the way i read it is if i needed to store a string, i can change: char question[28]; into; char question[28] PROGMEM; ?

No you can only have immutable literal strings in memory, or fixed data. You can not write to program memory during run time. http://playground.arduino.cc/Learning/Memory#.Uz98csc6IXE and http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/PROGMEM