I need a powerful dual bridge, the L298 doesn´t work for me

I found this one:

" BTS7960 43A High Power Motor Driver Module/Smart Car Driver Module for Arduino" but the example applications refer to stepper motors. I need to power to motors that may draw 10A each, forward and reverse. Will this dual bridge work?

Thanks

Probably, if you mount it so air can freely flow around the heat sink and your voltage for the motors is within the board's limits.

1 Like

A normal motor is a brushed DC motor.
What is the stall current of that motor ? That is the current that the driver should be able to deal with.

The BTS7960 module that you mention: https://www.amazon.com/BTS7960-Driver-Module-Arduino-Current/dp/B07TFB22H5
That is also for DC motors. I can not find an example with a stepper motor, all the examples use a brushed DC motor.

Pololu has many controllers and drivers, for example: https://www.pololu.com/product/2995

I'm using that driver and it works well connected to a brushed DC motor. 40 Amps might be Chinese Amps. Say that it manages 20 Imperial or metric Amps....

Now, I see that the pins for powering the driver looks "weak" as if intended only for electronic signals. Can some amps pass through that connection??

But again, is it a dual bridge or it can only drive one motor?

The screw socket is for the load. The pin socket is for the logic part.
Post a photo showing what You're talking about.

As you can see there are 4 screw sockets. I guess that corresponds to 4 wires in a stepper motor.
Then we have 4 pairs of pins, the leftmost pair is VCC and GND. It cannot be intended for powering the load for obvious reason. So then, where is the power for the load?
And, could this driver be used as a dual driver for controlling two motors independently, like the L298? Even the L298 can be used for controlling a 4-wire stepper motor, i'm using one for that purpose.

The 8 pin set is used for the logic parts only.
In the screw block, from left, close to the bulk capacitor, to the right is: power negative, power positive, motor positive and motor negative. Look on the under side of the curcuit board for printouts, symbols.
This us a DC motor driver as I use it.

I had some experiments with BTS7960 as a quick way to make a driver for BLDC motors powering them with three phase PWM signal. They are okay with average current 10 amps, get hot but still fine enough. There is some video on youtube for their testing, for long work 20 amps was defined as too much hot by author of the review, so not recommended. These modules can provide higher current, but just for short time cause board design and radiator sucks. For some extra safety you can put radiators on the plastic parts of them (but not those small from A4899 stepper driver), this gonna help a little, but not much cause the most heating go to pcb. The important thing - raise and fall time was 1.8 microseconds for my modules. So you can compute duty cycle and PWM frequency based on this values for your project.

This module can drive only one DC motor in both directions. Or two motors in same direction each. You can also connect these modules in parallel for DC motors, if PWM frequency is low.

It definetly very well for regular DC motors. Just keep in mind - NEVER disconnect any motor from the driver when it's powered or spinning but power is off, otherwise chances to fry driver/bridge are very high. Also if you make wires to the motor too long there is a risk to have glitches with arduino and other electronics.

No, its definitely not a dual bridge as it only has 4 terminals, 2 for the supply, 2 for a single motor - the photos of the underside show them labelled as B+, B- (battery) and W+ W- (winding).

If you have a high current stepper motor you do not want anything like this, you need a stepper driver (with current drive, not voltage drive).