i need help for my graduation project

hi, we are at last year in BSc program in instrumentation and control system engineering and we need help for our project

Project: We are going to upgrade motorized wheelchair to smart wheelchair by using deferent sensors with different positions also with different functions by using aurdino controller.

We will install 4 IR sensors for drop off in the front side to give alarm if sense any drop it will force the wheelchair to stop by cutting the power or reduce the speed. Also, 4 ultrasonic sensors for distance for front side and give alarm if distance 1 meter then other alarm if 0.5 meters with reducing the power and then cut the power. Finally, 2 IR sensor for right side, 2 IR sensors for left side, and 2 IR sensors for rear side. With out cutting the power in this case.

Please we need your support from your side to make the circuit and programmed the aurdino controller and make report about that with photo and block diagram to be included in our report.

We wait your feedback and comments.

Best regards

what did you make so far, any schematics (fritzing) or otherwise what about states and conditions. what about power calculations. yes arduino can make this, what did you do already?

asking for solution is not the way.

You obviously haven't read this Thread

...R

shooter: asking for solution is not the way.

.... especially when the project relates directly to your major. Sometimes students in say art ask for help, and I can sympathise with that when they have no clue how to get their art to move, or make a noise, or flash lights or whatever.

You request is like a final year civil engineering student asking a civil engineering forum how to design a beam. Even if you've never learned Arduino as such in the degree, you should be able to grab its documentation (and you're already on the right site for that), scour the component makers/suppliers for various sensors, and figure this out for yourself.

thanks for your response.

actually we already buy the wheelchair and its alredy compined with motor and battery and joy stick, just we wanna connect some sensors controled by urduino UNO. we need those sensors to detect objects or wall ,and this signal which are come from sensors it will go to arduino and then arduino will take the action either to reduce the accelration for the motor or stop the motor.

is it possible and what is the requirments for doing that.

Have you done any work on this so far yourself?- apart from buying stuff.

Have you for example:

• Read up on the Arduino boards' capabilities and programming language?
  • Investigated various sensor's capabilities (eg range, ability to work in outdoor light), and their compatibility to Arduino
  • Investigated how to interface those sensors to Arduino
  • Investigated how to interface anything to the motors?
  • Maybe considered making a mock-up model with a small robot chassis and small sensors and low-power motors just to test some ideas

You're almost an engineer... so do some engineering.

PS... the help you will get here will certainly not be a solution. You'll get help where you get stuck on specifics.

Perhaps we should start a "Graduation Project Completion" business and then donate the proceeds to Massimo...

Doing degree completion for money could be disastrous because we would be unleashing completely unqualified engineers on the world and some of them will be designing things that could cause you harm.

With the internet and many documented cases of plagiarism and cheating in school many students (the OP I am sure does not fall into this category) many engineering students have never been confronted with a problem that a million people have not already done, documented it put it on the web etc. As I would tell my engineering students no one is going to pay you much money to answer questions that have already been asked. The hardest problem assigned in your 4 years of class will be easier than a very simple project out in the field.

To be quite frank, if you really have absolutely no idea where to start and expect somebody on this forum to completely design your entire solution for you so you don’t have to lift a finger… then you really, really, really do not deserve to graduate. Not only are you cheating, but you are proving you haven’t learned a thing. Why should any school give you a diploma? Do you think the real world works this way? Why should anyone hire you? You do know that interviewers are going to test your knowledge, right? They are going to weed you out in the first round of interviews. If you do actually graduate and somehow get hired in your field, I’d imagine you’d get fired pretty fast once management figures out you are worthless. I’ve done hiring in my field (computer science) and I’ve interviewed many, many people with BS resumes. It’s very clearly very quickly when they don’t know jack. I’ve literally ended interviews after only 10 minutes because it was so clear they lied about what they’ve accomplished and the technologies they claim they have used.

Suck it up and actually try to figure it out. Prove that you have what it takes. At the very least try to come up with some ideas or heaven’s sake, do some research!

Sorry to be so blunt, but you need to face the cold hard facts.

wwbrown: Doing degree completion for money could be disastrous because we would be unleashing completely unqualified engineers on the world and some of them will be designing things that could cause you harm.

With the internet and many documented cases of plagiarism and cheating in school many students (the OP I am sure does not fall into this category) many engineering students have never been confronted with a problem that a million people have not already done, documented it put it on the web etc. As I would tell my engineering students no one is going to pay you much money to answer questions that have already been asked. The hardest problem assigned in your 4 years of class will be easier than a very simple project out in the field.

My attempt at humor failed - not uncommon for me. LOL

These inquiries just get better all the time.

badr1765: Please we need your support from your side to make the circuit and programmed the aurdino controller and make report about that with photo and block diagram to be included in our report.

Sheesh, how bold is that?

badr1765: is it possible

If it were me, I'd certainly hope that I hadn't picked an impossible graduation project as there would probably be at least some degree of embarrassment involved. Actually, engineers should know whether they are embarking on an impossible project or not.

and what is the requirments for doing that.

Engineers get to write requirements, too. It's not unheard of for a customer to not be able to state their requirements well. Sometimes we have to actually work hard to define them. Can be like pulling teeth in fact.

I imagine I'm wasting my virtual breath at this point; the OP has probably moved on to more fertile forums (fora?)

we need those sensors to detect objects or wall ,and this signal which are come from sensors it will go to arduino and then arduino will take the action either to reduce the accelration for the motor or stop the motor.

You need to start doing advanced google search of the forum for previous post and discussions like below (11,800 hits for arduino+detect+object). lot of information available.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=arduino+detect+object&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc%2Findex&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=&gws_rd=ssl

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=arduino+avoid+object&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc%2Findex&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=&gws_rd=ssl

[quote author=Jack Christensen link=topic=246508.msg1763454#msg1763454 date=1402615972] If it were me, I'd certainly hope that I hadn't picked an impossible graduation project as there would probably be at least some degree of embarrassment involved. Actually, engineers should know whether they are embarking on an impossible project or not. [/quote]

The OP's project is, in fact, probably well within the capabilities of a good hobbyist. Certainly the sensing is, any way. The higher voltage stuff on the motor side would need care of course, and many of us are not too good on any thing over 12V and trrivial current. But since they have a wheel chair with a joystick, I suspect the Arduino outputs could be hacked into the joystick somehow. Lots of wheelchair stuff on the forums.

So an almost trivial problem, with known and documented solutions, to become an engineer?

Wow...

I just completed my own BSE electrical engineering senior design project, and I will admit that I did ask for some help here, but there is a BIG difference between what I asked and what the OP did.

This community (and your professor) is typically happy to answer questions like: 1. I tried X, Y, and Z but I still can't get my code to upload, any ideas? 2. Am I biasing this transistor correctly? 3. Where might I find a source for X component? 4. Is this datasheet actually correct?

But if you expect us to do all of your project for you, you deserve to fail. I spent well over 400 hours on my project. If I did have the time, money, and ambition to do your entire project, write a good report, and complete the other requirements I certainly wouldn't turn all my work over to you so you could take all the credit!

As a side note, I do have to disagree with Jack. I have seen a few electrical projects at my College that seemed feasible to start with, but as the team developed their solution they found that due to the limits of their budget, time, or technology their project would not be feasible. They actually did quite well as they were still able to put together something they could show worked to a degree and in their report they gave a detailed workup of why what they tried to do actually wasn't possible.

In short: If you have a question ask your professor. If they don't know the answer, go ahead and ask here, but if they tell you to find out yourself, get to work.

I think the question "Is this datasheet actually correct?" should be an automatic FAIL.

You have to be qualified to show you know enough about the subject before you can ask questions like that.

It's a bit like the questions here that imply the Arduino is wrong, not the programmer.

Of course putting "this is my graduation project" in the title should also be an automatic FAIL.

:) :) :)

...R

I am going to assume that the purchase of a wheelchair and the notes on sensors and counts indicate that you have done research, that you are documenting the sensors, limitations, and desired parameters that must exist in the normal (baseline state) and the abnormal (microcontroller control state.) I fully respect the other forum members and their concern toward ensuring that you are doing your own homework, but I also understand that a second language can often make a polite inquiry sound like a ransom demand!
Answered inline:

badr1765:
hi,
we are at last year in BSc program in instrumentation and control system engineering and we need help for our project

Project:
We are going to upgrade motorized wheelchair to smart wheelchair by using deferent sensors with different positions also with different functions by using aurdino controller.

We will install 4 IR sensors for drop off in the front side to give alarm if sense any drop it will force the wheelchair to stop by cutting the power or reduce the speed.
Consider the the chair and rider are moving at top speed, would an “alarm” be the appropriate mechanical response and what is the nature of the alarm: LEDS, sound, harp music?
Perhaps the uC should intervene and alarm if the velocity is too great?

Also, 4 ultrasonic sensors for distance for front side and give alarm if distance 1 meter then other alarm if 0.5 meters with reducing the power and then cut the power.
Ah, again that “alarm” word. With 4 sensors in the front, how will these be directed; that is, what is the angular coverage vectors… 0, 90, 180, ?. If in an arc, does the 0.5 meters represent the radius of the coverage area? With different vectors, how would the display manage this? That is, 4 LEDs for each sensor with arrows painted on a display bezel? Since we are not dealing with a full-circle, the physical layout should make some kind of sense.

Finally, 2 IR sensor for right side, 2 IR sensors for left side, and 2 IR sensors for rear side. With out cutting the power in this case.
Interesting. 4 sensors to the front and 2 each to the left, right, rear. This is an area that is confusing to me and again I reference if these sensors are receiving angular vector echos?

Please we need your support from your side to make the circuit and programmed the aurdino controller and make report about that with photo and block diagram to be included in our report.
If “support” means critical analysis, I’m sure you will get that!

We wait your feedback and comments.

Best regards

So, here is what I am getting from the description:

/\ /\   /\  /\                 <--- 4 IR front sensors for drop-off
                         /\ /\  /\  /\                  <--- 4 Sonar front-facing
                          <         >                   <---2 pair of sonar side sensors
                          <         >
                             \/ \/                      <--- 2 rear sonar sensors

If I read the intro correctly, that is 14 sensors?

So, the IR drop-off sensors would be mounted on an extension boom the length of which represents a distance calculated by the vehicle maximum forward motion AND the delay reaction time of all system components? Thus, if I purposefully tried to run myself off the upper steps, the system would “save” me from certain death?

To control the current to the DC motor, the wheelchair must already have some kind of motor controller of a solid-state nature. You will need the schematic of this to determine how to properly interface into the unit to implement an emergency cutoff or speed-reduction capability.

You need to really work on the human ergonomic concepts: sounds and display(s) of the instrumentation.

Good luck,

Ray

[quote author=Jack Christensen link=topic=246508.msg1763454#msg1763454 date=1402615972] ... has probably moved on to more fertile forums (fora?) [/quote]

You have a smattering of Latin, eh?

I would hate to be the test subject in the wheelchair during the test phase, or for that matter at any time in the life of the chair.