I need help regulating my voltage

For some background, I am making a winch for a school project using an rc motor. The power supply for the motor is 11.1V. I’m using an esc and a potentiometer to control the motor speed but I also want to connect an IR counter along with an LCD screen so that I may display the rpm’s. I have been able to get the esc working correctly but I am unsure how to wire the LCD screen and IR sensor to my Arduino uno without frying them. The sensor is rated for 3.3-5V. My question is how would I go about regulating the voltage so that I don’t fry my sensor and screen but still maintaining the full voltage range of the battery for the motor.

11.1 volt sounds odd but is totally okey for a motor. As I understand Your motor is working and You can control it. Wjhat stuff would the IR conter be?
Check the specifications for the voltage needed for the "Arduino". What kind of Arduino? Some use 5.0 volt, some other use 3.3 volt. The LCD most likely use 5.0 volt.
As I think You need a converter that produces 5.0 volt taken from the 11 volt battory.

Its an arduino uno and I can run the motor with no problems using the 11.1V battery. Im wondering how I can use the same battery source to also power my lcd screen and ir sensor without damaging them? I still need all 11.1 volts to run through the potentiometer. Im new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

Johnholiday09:
Its an arduino uno and I can run the motor with no problems using the 11.1V battery. Im wondering how I can use the same battery source to also power my lcd screen and ir sensor without damaging them? I still need all 11.1 volts to run through the potentiometer. Im new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

You can power your arduino through the raw terminal, then feed your lcd from the arduino 5v terminal.
Motors are noisy though and you might get interference.
Assuming here that your lcd is a 16x2.

How do You power the Arduino when You run the motor? Which Arduino is it?
Feeding 11 volt to the raw of the Arduino and then powering the LCD from the Arduino 5 volt might overload the 5 volt regulator on the Arduino.

As of now Im running the motor and powering the uno using the 11.1V power supply. Theres an esc and potentiometer involved also. My 5V terminal is being used to connect the potentiometer. Would the 3.3V terminal work also? Does the 3.3V terminal mean its output is 3.3V so that anything connected to it would receive 3.3V?

Just read the specs for the UNO to find out how much current it provides and check how much current is available. An UNO has a very little capacity to provide current on the 5 volt rail when it is fed from the barrel jack. Most of that 5 volt will be consumed by the UNO itself.
To be sure get a buck converter supplying 5 volt to the other stuff. Make shure to use a pot if some 10 or 100 kOhm.

16x2 LCD draws next to nothing . It's the backlight that one would need to watch. This could be run separately though.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Thanks… Tom… :slight_smile:

@bluejets
Powering the back light separately… From where? Why not use a good 5 volt source to power all the 5 volt devices?

Does the ESC have a BEC circuit? If so, use that to power the uno and LCD, and, IR sensor.

Use a buck converter, no problem with overheating and plenty of power to add an array of LEDs for a nice light show.

Railroader:
@bluejets
Powering the back light separately… From where? Why not use a good 5 volt source to power all the 5 volt devices?

11.1v....I know it's way out there, something I would never do, but the Op did ask and as usual, any diagram is a State secret, so I forward just the extreme possibilities.
I have seen where some will even drive this with pwm via a transistor etc.