I need help with an IR transmitter, receiver, and a DC motor

I am extremely new to Arduino and for an assignment, I need to make an IR transmitter activate an IR Receiver, which will then start my DC motor. I need help with this asap, and I don't know how to do this whatsoever. I have tried to learn Arduino in my free time but I am having a lot of trouble. I currently own an Arduino Uno. Could someone tell me what I need to do, or write in my code? It would be much appreciated. Also, I do know it is possible to use a remote for this, but with my current goal, I cant use one.

P.S. I may have put this in the wrong forum section, so sorry about that.

IanPlayGames12:
I am extremely new to Arduino and for an assignment, I need to make an IR transmitter activate an IR Receiver, which will then start my DC motor. I need help with this asap, and I don't know how to do this whatsoever. I have tried to learn Arduino in my free time but I am having a lot of trouble. I currently own an Arduino Uno. Could someone tell me what I need to do, or write in my code? It would be much appreciated. Also, I do know it is possible to use a remote for this, but with my current goal, I cant use one.

A class assignment and you don't know what to do?
Have you been sleeping in class all this time?

F

Hah, no thats not the case. The class assignment is actually Science Olympiad. I need to create a Rube Goldberg machine that can only use certain tasks. I have it all done except for this which happens to be one of the tasks. We have to be creative for this rather than using things we learned in class. Actually this is being assigned to me from my Biology class

IanPlayGames12:

What kind of IR receiver do you have?

I have two types currently. I have a 2 pronged LED styled one and I have a 3 pronged 38khz Ir Receiver. Same situation with the transmitters. I also currently have a breadboard, a few transistors and a few other basic things. I think I have everything I need for it, its just I don't know how to go about doing it.

In the past hour, have you not bothered to watch any youtube videos on either IR setups or how transistors work or anything related to your 'need to make' assignment?

You only have 1 Arduino? How do you imagine making a transmitter AND a receiver?

You will need a TV remote or even an IR remote from electric candles to be the 'transmitter'. That'd be a simple route.

I have watched videos but am yet to find any that are to my specific situation. If the fact is that i need 2 then I will just have to cut part of this out. Thx for the help!

Since I've been down that road in order to learn how to control my entertainment system via Alexa and the
esp82266, I'll try to save you time by sharing info which took me a few weeks learn.

First, you'll need to know how the 38khz transmitter works - if you don't already. Below is a great depiction:

IR transmitters have a Header MARK, Header SPACE, Bit MARK, a ONE SPACE, a ZERO SPACE; and, relating to TVs, BlueRays, etc - a repeat space so as not to waste time re-transmitting the device ID.

Next, you'll need to know how to manipulate the arduino to pulse the bits on the 38Khz sub-carrier. Below is a comprehensive read:
arduino topic

Using and understanding the above will place you on another path of good study:
Arduino-IR Remote

Hope this sets you on the right path (and limits the invested google time).

Just a peeve of mine, students conflating what they want to with what they have to do.
Teacher gives an assignment prompt. No specific demand to do a particular thing. Student thinks up a thing that may or not be possible. When a student asks for help in how to do an impossible thing, and says it's the assignment requirement, it's misleading and makes people unable to realize that just saying 'no, that's not possible' is an option because everyone things the demands come from the teacher, not from the student's imaginings. I.e., it's as if you told us that your teacher told you to build a transmitter and a receiver with one Arduino at your disposal.

Now, explain what the assignment is actually asking for, and then we can better suggest how you can fulfill the requirements with what equipment you have. Explain the equipment that you have. What kind of power source or sources do you have available? What are the details about your DC motor? You said this was a part of something bugger, so maybe describe what needs to happen.

There may very well be for you to accomplish some variation of your vision, you just have to be willing to help those who are trying to help you learn from the experience.