I need help with my project for work and it's important to get finished.

I purchased the SainSmart Due + 5" LCD Touch Panel SD Card Slot + Shield Kit For Arduino for a project i must complete for work, and I am attempting to use an image I have on an sd card to show on the display. It said in the Specifications that I didn't need a program, but nothing will show up. Can someone that's a little more experienced that I am help me out? Thank you!!

Here is a link: http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-due-5-lcd-touch-panel-sd-card-slot-tft-lcd-shield-kit-for-arduino.html#customer-reviews

It said in the Specifications that I didn't need a program, but nothing will show up.

Where did it say that?

Why did they provide a link to the 'codes'? ([u]Codes for Due[/u])

Did you request the technical support that they claim they would supply? (We will supply you the technical support after your purchase.)

Don

boggy98: I purchased the SainSmart Due + 5" LCD Touch Panel SD Card Slot + Shield Kit For Arduino for a project i must complete for work, and I am attempting to use an image I have on an sd card to show on the display. It said in the Specifications that I didn't need a program, but nothing will show up.

I looked at the spec in your link. What is said was:

"Write images/icons to flash memory via SD card with zero programming"

I'm not sure what it does mean, but it doesn't mean it will appear on the LCD without a program.

You could have a look at this (note: the example uses a BMP file format, not JPG):

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/TFT#toc11

and also look at other graphics libraries.

floresta: Where did it say that?

Why did they provide a link to the 'codes'? ([u]Codes for Due[/u])

Did you request the technical support that they claim they would supply? (We will supply you the technical support after your purchase.)

Don

None of the (Codes for Due) would work or upload to the board. Even with the correct port and board from the tools tab selected, it rejected the code. I contacted tech support several days ago, but I haven't heard anything back from them and is why I cam to this forum.

arduinodlb: I looked at the spec in your link. What is said was:

"Write images/icons to flash memory via SD card with zero programming"

I'm not sure what it does mean, but it doesn't mean it will appear on the LCD without a program.

You could have a look at this (note: the example uses a BMP file format, not JPG):

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/TFT#toc11

and also look at other graphics libraries.

So i tried this code, but nothing on the Arduino end. I'm sorry if I sound stupid with what i'm saying, but I am very new to all of this and need as much help as possible.

boggy98: I purchased the SainSmart Due + 5" LCD Touch Panel SD Card Slot + Shield Kit For Arduino for a project i must complete for work, and I am attempting to use an image I have on an sd card to show on the display. It said in the Specifications that I didn't need a program, but nothing will show up.

What the specification means, when it says

• On board 64Mbit SPI Flash for storing fonts of 10 sizes and 236 icons for custom application development
  • Write images/icons to flash memory via SD card with zero programming
  • 64Mbit can store 1800 42x42 pixel icons/images

is that the LCD module has some flash storage for icons, fonts, and so forth. That keeps you from having to use valuable program space on your Arduino board for storing all those little static images.

The spec implies that once you've used a PC (or whatever) to create your icons, you can save them to an SD card, and there's some built-in ("zero programming") mechanism on the LCD module for copying them from that SD card to the module's flash memory. Unfortunately, that's not really going to help you make a random image file from your SD card show up on the LCD.

There will be some programming required on the Arduino board to display an image on the LCD. I can't access the sample project files for some reason, so I can't comment on them, but I'd imagine that's where you'll need to start.

realjoshfreeman: What the specification means, when it says

is that the LCD module has some flash storage for icons, fonts, and so forth. That keeps you from having to use valuable program space on your Arduino board for storing all those little static images.

The spec implies that once you've used a PC (or whatever) to create your icons, you can save them to an SD card, and there's some built-in ("zero programming") mechanism on the LCD module for copying them from that SD card to the module's flash memory. Unfortunately, that's not really going to help you make a random image file from your SD card show up on the LCD.

There will be some programming required on the Arduino board to display an image on the LCD. I can't access the sample project files for some reason, so I can't comment on them, but I'd imagine that's where you'll need to start.

Are you able to help write a code? I have about a level of 0 capability doing this myself. An example sketch doesn't quite help me either and only gives me a little excitement lol.

I purchased this: http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-due-5-lcd-touch-panel-sd-card-slot-tft-lcd-shield-kit-for-arduino.html, and I have no idea where to start. No example sketches were given even after contacting tech support. Can someone please help? I'm willing to pay to have it done for me.

boggy98: No example sketches were given even after contacting tech support.

That seems rather strange. The ad you allude to clearly says that documentation is provided, and there is even a link at the bottom that says "codes for Due" and clearly marked in red.

boggy98: I purchased this: http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-due-5-lcd-touch-panel-sd-card-slot-tft-lcd-shield-kit-for-arduino.html, and I have no idea where to start. No example sketches were given even after contacting tech support. Can someone please help? I'm willing to pay to have it done for me.

No. If you do not see link, here it is: http://www.selloutsoon.com/albums/documents/20-011-D19/DUE+CTE50.zip

Nick_Pyner: That seems rather strange. The ad you allude to clearly says that documentation is provided, and there is even a link at the bottom that says "codes for Due" and clearly marked in red.

I downloaded that and none of the examples will upload. I always get the error message telling me it couldn't compile. Even after several hours of troubleshooting, still no success.

mcufan: No. If you do not see link, here it is: http://www.selloutsoon.com/albums/documents/20-011-D19/DUE+CTE50.zip

You're not helping. What I have to do is for a movie i'm working on. Obviously i'm not capable of accomplishing this project all on my own. And if you're not gonna simply help me, then I don't need your word at all. I'm looking for someone that's gonna be nice enough to help me code this project and possibly walk me through the process as well.

boggy98: You're not helping. What I have to do is for a movie i'm working on. Obviously i'm not capable of accomplishing this project all on my own. And if you're not gonna simply help me, then I don't need your word at all. I'm looking for someone that's gonna be nice enough to help me code this project and possibly walk me through the process as well.

Why do not call their customer support then again? You gave them lot of money after all. I would return them the whole board and require full refund.

I cannot help you, I do not have that board. If you are ready to pay to someone $200, for sure you will receive help.

What else you would excpect?

mcufan: Why do not call their customer support then again? You gave them lot of money after all. I would return them the whole board and require full refund.

I cannot help you, I do not have that board. If you are ready to pay to someone $200, for sure you will receive help.

What else you would excpect?

They do not have a phone number for customer support and are only reachable by email. I'm not saying that you are able to help me, but it would really be nice if I could find someone that would kindly help me and teach me the basics of this project without some money in their hands. Why does this world always rely on money? That honestly makes me a little mad.

boggy98: You're not helping. What I have to do is for a movie i'm working on. Obviously i'm not capable of accomplishing this project all on my own. And if you're not gonna simply help me, then I don't need your word at all. I'm looking for someone that's gonna be nice enough to help me code this project and possibly walk me through the process as well.

I find it kind of refreshing someone doesn't say they are a technical genius so the problem must be with everything else. :)

Debugging is a lot like going to a library or doctor. Imagine going into a library and saying 'I need a book' or phoning a doctor and when asks 'Where does it hurt' you point rather then tell him. Almost impossible to do remote debugging w/o actually having the same hardware or at the very least detailed description of the problem.

The one thing you will have to learn is: When you get the errors when trying to compile or upload, there is a little button only the lower right corner of program development window. You have to punch the [Copy error messages] and paste them to the forum.

You should also upload the offending program. It's best to learn how to use the advanced reply options to make it easier to upload using the code option so formatting is preserved.

I downloaded that and none of the examples will upload. I always get the error message telling me it couldn't compile. Even after several hours of troubleshooting, still no success.

Perhaps you should take a look at the 'How to use this forum' thread and find out what information you need to provide in order to get the help you seek.

It seems to me that if you determine how to successfully upload the programs that Sainsmart has provided you may be able to get your hardware to work. In order to help you do that as a bare minimum we need to know what specific troubleshooting steps you took and the exact error messages that you received for each.

Don

boggy98: They do not have a phone number for customer support and are only reachable by email. I'm not saying that you are able to help me, but it would really be nice if I could find someone that would kindly help me and teach me the basics of this project without some money in their hands. Why does this world always rely on money? That honestly makes me a little mad.

You are joking, I suppose.

Well, I have tried few minutes ago and I can compile every single sketch I have tried with few minor tweaks... However, with your attitude in previous post ("And if you're not gonna simply help me, then I don't need your word at all."), you do not deserve any help at all. I will pass to provide even a hint and give a chance to someone else as well as your money.

Good luck!

Ok, I hate to do this because you’ve been a little ungrateful to those trying to help but you sound rather desperate and getting your screen to work is not an easy thing.

So, the first thing to note is that per the sainsmart website, you have a SSD1963 controller for the 5" display.

Next, looking at the code supplied by the link above, the examples are not configured correctly. The example for the 5" display is set to use the code for the 7" display and vice versa. You can see this in the code snipet below from the example CTE_50inch_800x480:

UTFT myGLCD(CTE70);   // Remember to change the model parameter to suit your display module!

The 5" display should be CTE50. It should read like I have it below:

UTFT myGLCD(CTE50);   // Remember to change the model parameter to suit your display module!

Also, they have done a bit of butchering to the standard UTFT library that you can download from UTFT - Rinky-Dink Electronics. I would suggest trying the standard library as it is currently on version 2.75 and the code from the other link is using version 1.3 (almost 3 years old).

If this doesn’t get it to work, give a little description of what the display is doing, if anything.

mainlin: Ok, I hate to do this because you've been a little ungrateful to those trying to help but you sound rather desperate and getting your screen to work is not an easy thing.

So, the first thing to note is that per the sainsmart website, you have a SSD1963 controller for the 5" display.

Next, looking at the code supplied by the link above, the examples are not configured correctly. The example for the 5" display is set to use the code for the 7" display and vice versa. You can see this in the code snipet below from the example CTE_50inch_800x480:

UTFT myGLCD(CTE70);   // Remember to change the model parameter to suit your display module!

The 5" display should be CTE50. It should read like I have it below:

UTFT myGLCD(CTE50);   // Remember to change the model parameter to suit your display module!

Also, they have done a bit of butchering to the standard UTFT library that you can download from http://www.rinkydinkelectronics.com/library.php?id=51. I would suggest trying the standard library as it is currently on version 2.75 and the code from the other link is using version 1.3 (almost 3 years old).

If this doesn't get it to work, give a little description of what the display is doing, if anything.

Sorry posted one just a few minutes ago and realized I copied the wrong error messages from another example sketch I had running. Here's the error messages for the right one after changing

to

Arduino: 1.6.1 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Due (Programming Port)"

Build options changed, rebuilding all CTE_50inch_800x480.ino:27:18: error: no matching function for call to 'UTFT::UTFT(int)' CTE_50inch_800x480.ino:27:18: note: candidates are: In file included from CTE_50inch_800x480.ino:8:0: /Users/zsoltmate/Documents/Arduino/libraries/UTFT/UTFT.h:173:3: note: UTFT::UTFT(byte, int, int, int, int, int) UTFT(byte model, int RS, int WR,int CS, int RST, int SER=0); ^ /Users/zsoltmate/Documents/Arduino/libraries/UTFT/UTFT.h:173:3: note: candidate expects 6 arguments, 1 provided /Users/zsoltmate/Documents/Arduino/libraries/UTFT/UTFT.h:172:3: note: UTFT::UTFT() UTFT(); ^ /Users/zsoltmate/Documents/Arduino/libraries/UTFT/UTFT.h:172:3: note: candidate expects 0 arguments, 1 provided /Users/zsoltmate/Documents/Arduino/libraries/UTFT/UTFT.h:169:7: note: UTFT::UTFT(const UTFT&) class UTFT ^ /Users/zsoltmate/Documents/Arduino/libraries/UTFT/UTFT.h:169:7: note: no known conversion for argument 1 from 'int' to 'const UTFT&' CTE_50inch_800x480.ino: In function 'void setup()': CTE_50inch_800x480.ino:32:10: error: 'class UTFT' has no member named 'SPI_Flash_init' CTE_50inch_800x480.ino: In function 'void loop()': CTE_50inch_800x480.ino:55:10: error: 'class UTFT' has no member named 'Swtich_LCD_TB_Bit' CTE_50inch_800x480.ino:298:10: error: 'class UTFT' has no member named 'Swtich_LCD_TB_Bit' Error compiling.

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" enabled in File > Preferences.

In the end, all I get on the display itself is a white screen.

You can try using the example from the following tutorial: http://arduinodev.com/arduino-sd-card-image-viewer-with-tft-shield/