I need help with the code language

hello, i bought an anrduino uno board about 6 months ago, and bought the started kit about 3 months ago. i have a very creative mind and there is a vast array of projects wanting to burst out onto some breadboard. the only thing holding me up is the code. i have downloaded books, looked on youtube.com for tutorials, came here and looked at the language and forums. but i cant seem to get it. with me it may take a bit more time to start out in something but, after i grasp it i go far and learn fast after. i have only dont 1 project aside from the pin 13 blinking light. and that was a 8 LED knight rider light bar. i want to take it to 42 LEDs but, i have not grasped the concept of charlieplexing. right now the 8 LEDs are using 8 pins. i know with charlieplexing i can run 42 with 7 pins. i understand the structure of the projects i just dont get the code and how to tell the arduino what i want it to do. first off how do you start out a sketch. i have looked at the bare min for what a code needs but i dont know what if anything to add to those sections to get the desired result. there are so many variations to the code and how to word and script it im lost one forum tells me one thing the other tells me another and nothing is working for me. im still trying to find out where i can get a list of script words and what they mean and how i can use them. like it took me a little but to find out what INT meant. and what the result of placing numbers there as variables would effect. and how the value of the number would change that portion of the script.please if any one could take the time to help me get the beginning of the code it would be greatly appreciated. and last im not one of "those people" that dont want to research and learn them selves so they just forum it and ask people because they are lazy. if i get the right places to look and the "correct" format of the coding not others variations i might be able to go further but first a walkthrough is necessary for me.

The Arduino can only really do 3 things 1. Put a voltage on a pin 2. Read a voltage on a pin 3. Make decisions and act on the voltages read

This is a vast simplification because the Arduino uses the C++ programming language which is very powerful but can be very obtuse. This is not helped by the terse nature of C++ programs where you come across notation in a program that seems not to make sense. Often experienced people will suggest that things are done in the way that they would do it to save program space, speed programs up or do things in one step where doing it in 2 or 3 might make it more obvious what is going on.

One of the problems that newcomers have is that using the Arduino means that they have also to use external hardware such as buttons and LEDs in order to do anything so have to get involved with concepts such as pullup resistors and current limiting resistors at the same time as learning how to program.

One of the best sets of tutorials on the Arduino that I know of are these by Jeremy Blum on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=arduino+jeremy+blum

These tutorials take you through various aspects of using the Arduino with the code being explained, often as it is typed. The necessary hardware such as buttons and LEDs are explained and you get to see the Arduino program, the electronic circuits and the programs in action. Try them and see what you think.