I need some assistance with a GPS Data Logger.

I created a GPS logger for my car to see where i go and it works perfectly fine and records the GPS data to the SD card, though every now and then the GPS loses signal and stops recording and it doesn’t pick up till a little bit later, and it creates a line across the map cause it didn’t track during that time. Do i need to get myself a GPS antenna to increase the signal strength? If you could check my code for improvements that would mean a lot! Note: I got the code from the internet.

GPS Data Logger Code.zip (5.18 KB)

Increasing the ability to capture the signal is a good idea, cars have an external antenna for their gps.

Frankly not sure you’ll get a lot of takers to review a zip file code that you did not even write. Do you understand that code? What does improvement mean?

J-M-L:
Increasing the ability to capture the signal is a good idea, cars have an external antenna for their gps.

Frankly not sure you’ll get a lot of takers to review a zip file code that you did not even write. Do you understand that code? What does improvement mean?

I understand parts of the code, but i cant write my own code so i found a working code. I should've stated what improvement's i wanted, you see i have a data logger shield with cmos backup battery. When i check the gps logs the time is always stuck at the year 2000 at 2:00 am. I don't know how to write and add in a code that will use the data logger SD shield and keep track of time.

I would concentrate on getting the GPS working reliably first.

You need to see wha the GPS output looks like when the GPS appears to loose signal.

A simple GPS echo program and log the data to a laptop to view\record the GPS output will do.

And an application like Ubloxes Ucenter will give you a live update on GPS signal strength etc, when connected to the GPS.

srnet:
I would concentrate on getting the GPS working reliably first.

You need to see wha the GPS output looks like when the GPS appears to loose signal.

A simple GPS echo program and log the data to a laptop to view\record the GPS output will do.

And an application like Ubloxes Ucenter will give you a live update on GPS signal strength etc, when connected to the GPS.

I downloaded Ucenter on my laptop and i found that the GPS does get a better signal when it's out in the open, compared to being in my car which make's sense since the car is blocking the signal. I also checked the serial monitor for the Arduino and I've noticed more GPS locations being recorded when outside like walking form. I'm currently looking for a GPS antenna to increase the signal.

That will be a good start
GPS is giving you timing information, that’s what could be logged.

lockness01:
I downloaded Ucenter on my laptop and i found that the GPS does get a better signal when it's out in the open, compared to being in my car which make's sense since the car is blocking the signal. I also checked the serial monitor for the Arduino and I've noticed more GPS locations being recorded when outside like walking form. I'm currently looking for a GPS antenna to increase the signal.

If some of the GPS satellite signals are showing in Ucenter around the 26dB mark, that is poor and marginal reception. For reliable reception you need at least a couple of signals at 30dB to 40dB ................

Your GPS receiver uses this data to determine which satellites it expects to see in the local sky. It can then determine which satellites it should track.

Hi lockness.

Can you tell us what kind of antenna you are currently using? A photo would be good. Where do you place the module in the car?

I use a Neo-6M with antenna as in this link: https://www.ebay.com/c/1883380465

I place it on the dash where it performs well. I don't think the windscreen causes interference. The magnetic puck style that can sit on the roof will probably give you the best performance. In that case, the roof acts as a "ground plane" that enhances reception.

BTW, you should find more threads on GPS in some forum sections other than "Programming", such as "Networks...", "Sensors" or "Project Guidance".

John.