I need to power a 24v solenoid valve with a 12v power supply

I need to power a 24v solenoid valve with a 12v power supply controlled with arduino, i have a tip120, 1k resistor, and n1001 diode. Could i set this up? Thanks for the help im a noob.

Replace N-MOSFET with TIP120
10K resistor not needed, replace 12V supply shown here with 24V supply.
Connect 12V Gnd to Arduino Gnd and 24V Gnd.

Could i set this up?

No. You only have a 12V supply, you need a 24V one. So you need a DC/DC converter to step up the voltage. How much current does your solenoid take? It will affect the price you have to pay for the converter. There are some here:- http://www.ebay.com/bhp/12v-to-24v-step-up

It will be a lot cheaper to get the right voltage supply in the first place.

Hi CrossRoads...

How does that help? -there's still only 12v across the solenoid....

you either need a 24v supply , or a boost covertor from 12 to get the 24

regards

Allan.

ok so my solenoid is like 1-2 Amps

could i get another 12v power supply and use them together?

could i get another 12v power supply and use them together?

Yes. You can put two 12 power supplies in series as long as you can "float" the ground on one of them. But, that's a "Mickey Mouse" solution. Get the right power supply or the right solenoid and be done with it!

Well, I did state "replace 12V supply shown here with 24V supply."

Test your solenoid [u]in the intended application[/u] with the 12V supply, it may work fine. '

You usually do not need to apply the rated voltage for adequate operation. The voltage rating is the maximum continuous on voltage, to avoid overheating.

For example, 24VAC sprinkler values can usually be activated (for a very short while) by 9V PP3 batteries.

well i have a 12v battery pack with 8 1.5v AA batteries and this solenoid valve.

igeer12: well i have a 12v battery pack with 8 1.5v AA batteries and this solenoid valve.

That doesn't change anything. You have all the advice you need to decide what to do.

Eventually, you will need to have courage and connect the two together.

Do let us know what happens.