I think a THANK YOU is in order

I know we've all suffered some inconvenience with the latest upgrade to the forum. BUT I would like to admit that I'm fairly satisfied at the rate that bugs are being ironed out.

Naturally when we find a problem we're all too quick to make a point of mentioning it, but we rarely take the time to acknowledge the good work being done in the background to sort out the issues we notice.

Let's get some perspective on this. We're not talking about our bank accounts being messed up or our medical records being corrupted. None of us have lost money. We all still have our health and improvements are being made in leaps and bounds.

EVERY issue that I've raised since the upgrade, has been dealt with. I have never known a more responsive development team behind a public forum. It's very unusual to see members complaints being taken seriously and dealt with in such a swift manner.

It's the weekend and I'm sure all those involved with the upgrade have had a very stressful week. I would like to call on other members to let these people know that we really do appreciate their efforts and the progress that's being made.

I think you are spot on. They have done well despite the moans and groans of some of the forum users.

Ditto. I think that anyone who has done a major software upgrade will sympathise with the team trying to do this one.

dannable: Ditto. I think that anyone who has done a major software upgrade will sympathise with the team trying to do this one.

Well, let's remember that it was the "team" that broke the Forum in the first place.

I would have sympathy if the team was more transparent. There was ZERO consulation about what changes were going to happen and whether we wanted them. There was obviously ZERO testing of the proposed changes.The team seems to have ZERO understanding of how the Forum is used. And the team seems to have ZERO interest in being publicly accountable.

Of course the Forum is not as important as a bank account system. But a lot of contributors put a lot of free time and effort into helping newbies sort out problems and this represents a significant economic benefit for the Arduino system that the team has made ZERO effort to acknowledge.

And they still haven't fixed the size of the code box which almost makes the Forum unuseable (which is one example of what I mean by them having ZERO understanding of how the Forum is used).

...R

I would like to call on other members to let these people know that we really do appreciate their efforts and the progress that's being made.

That somewhat of a "grateful victim" Stockholm syndrome position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Robin2: Well, let's remember that it was the "team" that broke the Forum in the first place.

It is my understanding that the upgrade will make the moderators job easier when dealing with spam, etc, and I doubt that any of us would deny them the tools to do their job?

When I have done major upgrades it has been of my software so when bugs arise, as the invariably do, it was relatively easy to fix. This upgrade is using someone else's software so all they can do is customise it, and in order to do that they have to find out how to.

But I stand by one of my earlier comments - communication could have been better.

It is my understanding that the upgrade will make the moderators job easier when dealing with spam

That's certainly a good reason to upgrade, but I'm still uncomfortable about upgrading to a beta release, let along forking your own version of it in a production environment.

Robin2:

dannable: Ditto. I think that anyone who has done a major software upgrade will sympathise with the team trying to do this one.

Well, let's remember that it was the "team" that broke the Forum in the first place.

I would have sympathy if the team was more transparent. There was ZERO consulation about what changes were going to happen and whether we wanted them. There was obviously ZERO testing of the proposed changes.The team seems to have ZERO understanding of how the Forum is used. And the team seems to have ZERO interest in being publicly accountable.

Of course the Forum is not as important as a bank account system. But a lot of contributors put a lot of free time and effort into helping newbies sort out problems and this represents a significant economic benefit for the Arduino system that the team has made ZERO effort to acknowledge.

And they still haven't fixed the size of the code box which almost makes the Forum unuseable (which is one example of what I mean by them having ZERO understanding of how the Forum is used).

...R

Sadly I agree with you. Something with this many bugs should never have gone public in the first place. At least the bugs are getting squashed but there was a pretty significant interruption of usability that probably should/could have been avoiding.

Still the font should be bigger. Also There is a font size icon on the editor that does not work and is not recognized. And also there are still huge blank bars on my widescreen monitor.

smeezekitty:
Still the font should be bigger.

Can’t agree. Smaller font, more on the screen. I call that a “win”. Insofar as it applies to pad users, it will be an advantage. I use a 7 inch “netbook” in bed and the more that fits on the screen, the better. BTW, in bed I also use a real mouse and reading glasses. A pair of 1 dioptre specs for $2 would probably do you a world of good. :smiley:

If however you have a serious eye problem, use “Control plus” on the numeric keypad.

Paul__B: Can't agree. Smaller font, more on the screen.

And there's always Ctrl + +

Paul__B:

smeezekitty: Still the font should be bigger.

Can't agree. Smaller font, more on the screen. I call that a "win". Insofar as it applies to pad users, it will be an advantage. I use a 7 inch "netbook" in bed and the more that fits on the screen, the better. BTW, in bed I also use a real mouse and reading glasses. A pair of 1 dioptre specs for $2 would probably do you a world of good. :D

If however you have a serious eye problem, use "Control plus" on the numeric keypad.

The solution here is to have dynamic font sizing and layout control based on browser resolution. At 1920x1080 the current layout and font looks like suck. http://postimg.org/image/mn0e08oqt/full/

I do not have vision problems. It is just annoyingly small

Ctrl + also takes care of those voids left and right, i've used it since these appeared after a former update.

smeezekitty: The solution here is to have dynamic font sizing and layout control based on browser resolution. At 1920x1080 the current layout and font looks like suck. http://postimg.org/image/mn0e08oqt/full/

Gives you somewhere to hang your coat :)

Honestly, I agree. The default text size is too small.

Try: [size=12pt]your text[/size]

Thanks! That works Who would have thought I needed to add "pt".

Although CTL+ + does sorta fix those problems, it I don't like how the upscaled images look

Or CTRL and rotate the mouse wheel. But that doesn't work on an iPad :confused:

The smaller text makes it very difficult when you have only one good eye!

LarryD: Or CTRL and rotate the mouse wheel. But that doesn't work on an iPad :confused:

You can't just pinch zoom? That works on android tablet running chrome

smeezekitty:
You can’t just pinch zoom? That works on android tablet running chrome

As well as iPads of course. That may have been a little too blindingly obvious!

The problem being of course is when you do zoom in you have to pan left and right. Where if the print was larger then there is no need to zoom and hence panning.

The small print is here to stay.

LarryD: The problem being of course is when you do zoom in you have to pan left and right. Where if the print was larger then there is no need to zoom and hence panning.

The small print is here to stay.

Which browser do you use?