I think the SN74HC595N chip is not working

I just got my arduino super starter kit today and i was doing all the lessons until this one. I made sure all wires,resistors,and LED's were in the correct spots just like the example. But for some reason my LED's wont light up, but when i put the little shifter controller in a different way, my arduino looses its power and the chip gets really hot. I have a feeling im either doing something wrong or the chip is not working properly. I am also using the code the software gave to me, so no code was manually done by me.

but when i put the little shifter controller in a different way, my arduino looses its power and the chip gets really hot.

Putting a chip in the wrong way is a wonderful way to destroy it. In this cases it reverses the polarity and so draws lots and lots of current, normally burning the chip up.

Buy a new one and start again.

Next time something doesn’t work post a schematic and a photograph of your wiring.

Syllegy:
but when I put the little shifter controller in a different way, my Arduino looses its power and the chip gets really hot.

The point here is that making random changes because you do not understand how to do things, is never an appropriate approach to electronic construction. It may perhaps have worked back in the days of frogs legs.

What is required when something does not work, is checking and **re-**checking. If that does not resolve the problem, then you start again at an earlier step in the process, back-tracking until you can do something that does work and then taking a step at a time, only ever advancing from a point where the previous step did work.

Check twice or buy twice...