I want to control digital volume in my pc

Hello everybody,

This is my first post, i have some arduino borads, and some arduino stuff, i have readed a basic book for programming, and do basic things with arduino boards. I have been writed post because i want to do a digital volume control with arduino. My idea is the next (and then please say me if its possible or not):

Like a mixer, i want to create a hardware with arduino that control the sounds, digital sounds of my pc. To specify what i means with sound, i want to say the sounds of programs, music, or my microphone like volume mixer integrated in the windows SO but in hardware.

I dont know how to program that idea or how to create with arduino hardware. Some one can say me how could i do, or show me post or page to learn to program that or something.

Thanks

Like a mixer, i want to create a hardware with arduino that control the sounds, digital sounds of my pc. To specify what i means with sound, i want to say the sounds of programs, music, or my microphone like volume mixer integrated in the windows SO but in hardware.

The easiest thing would be to find an existing computer application (maybe a [u]DAW[/u] application).

Then you can make a [u]Control Surface[/u] with the Arduino and a few switches/pots, that sends MIDI messages to the computer/DAW.

A normal DAW will mix audio from a multi-channel audio interface but it won't allow you to access the Windows Mixer (I'm assuming your running Windows) so if you wanted to control the existing Windows Mixer, or make your own software mixer, you'd have to do some Windows programming.

The actual "mixing" is very easy... You simply sum the audio streams sample-by-sample (usually also scaling-down the levels so the summed samples don't clip/distort). (Analog mixing is done with a summing amplifier.) The hard part is "getting to" the digital audio stream inside the computer. (And, Windows programming is "hard"... it's a lot more complex than Arduino programming.)

Simple volume up/down should be easier. Some keyboards have volume buttons, so you should be able to simulate the keyboard commands with the Arduino. I assume that's part of Windows do you shouldn't have to do any programming on the computer-side.