I want to do a QuadCopter...

Hi, i'm interested on quadcopters, but they are all very expansive.
I saw in youtube some people doing a QuadCopter, obviously, it is posible, i'm programmer, but very bad in electronic. I've got an Arduino UNO and I think that's enough for it.
Knowing this, have someone saw a KIT or can someone give me the list of pieces and where to buy them (online if posible)?

Thank you very very very much for helping me, and sorry for the bad english.
P.D: Can it be controlled by bluetooth with an Android mobile phone?

Hello,

You need to buy motors, ESCs, and other electronics. You also need RC Radio reciever/transmitter.

As for Arduino, you can use the Uno board as a flight controller. You probably want some gyro/acceleration-sensors to stabilize it, but this is not a must. But you do need to put some money in this, as a cheap flight controller is only 20$, and this is the only part that Arduino can replace. So you dont really save any money here..

I'm working on a similar project atm, will create a new post as I'm having a few issues myself.

Quadcopters are cheap now. I doubt that you could build your own, cheaper than buying one.

“Cheap” is pretty relative. How cheap are they?

They are cheap, compared to the cost of buying all of the components and then trying to put it together yourself.

pmlapl:
"Cheap" is pretty relative. How cheap are they?

50 USD will buy a small but quite good quadcopter (without a transmitter). This is far cheaper than trying to build one from scratch, and the commercial version will likely work much better. It is not at all easy to build something like this well.

To the original poster, you would not want to control a quadcopter with a phone unless it was designed to fly almost entirely on autopilot. The tactile feedback of real control sticks is very important.

I disagree, controlling a quadcopter “manually” is, in practical terms, impossible. The basic stability of the device can only be achieved by computer control.

In a regular RC plane, you can control the throttle and control surfaces directly by RC control. In a quadcopter, you don’t. Your intentions, expressed through the “real control sticks”, are totally intermediated by a computer. You don’t have direct control at all. If you did, you’d have four throttle sticks to manage, and nothing else.

michinyon:
I disagree, controlling a quadcopter "manually" is, in practical terms, impossible. The basic stability of the device can only be achieved by computer control.

In a regular RC plane, you can control the throttle and control surfaces directly by RC control. In a quadcopter, you don't. Your intentions, expressed through the "real control sticks", are totally intermediated by a computer. You don't have direct control at all. If you did, you'd have four throttle sticks to manage, and nothing else.

I agree that the user's inputs are always modified by a computer, but there are varying degrees of stability control. The quadcopters I've flown have all required continuous small corrections to stay in one place. They take some time to learn to fly reliably. Without physical sticks, I don't think it would have been possible at all.

That said, there do exist quadcopters with more sophisticated (and differently-tuned) control systems. These will mostly stay in place if you don't command any movement. It is only in these cases where I'd expect a phone to be a reasonable option for control. Home-building that kind of control system is probably very difficult, though.