I will pay $50 for someone to write simple program

I am looking for someone to write a program that will turn a camera on and ensure that it continously records.
I have a wire coming from the camera that has 3 volts running through it when the camera is on and I also have a photo resistor connected to a blinking LED to sense when the camera is recording, I also have a wire running to the power button itself and a wire running to the record button itself. I will also need to know how to wire it up with resistors and what not. I believe this to be simple to someone who knows what they are doing, but I have tried to do it myself and failed several times. I am using an Arduino Uno. Please let me know what other information I will need to post.

Hi,

there are a bunch of very knowledgeable people here that I am sure will help you for free if you supply the technical specs for your camera.

I assume this camera came with the capability of remote control?

If so, supply the relevant information and help will surely be forthcoming :wink:

The camera itself is a kodak playsport. I believe it has the option for a remote control but I am not using one, I have soldered the wires right to the board of the camera itself

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/PLAYSPORT_Video_Camera__Zx3/productID.169976100

I have a wire coming from the camera that has 3 volts running through it when the camera is on

Only 1 wire? If so then that is why it is not working you need two wires, one for the ground which must be common to the arduino. Maybe that is why you can't get it to work.

No i'm sorry for the confusion. I also do have a ground coming out, i mistakenly only posted what I thought was pertinent. I actually have 8 wires coming out of the camera.

1. This wires gets 3 volts on it when the camera is powered on
  2. Camera gound
  3. This wire is wired to the Off/On switch (when shorted with the ground it turns the camera off or on)
  4. 1 side of photoresistor
  5. This wire is connected to the battery positive so I can use an external battery pack (will not be connected in any way to the Arduino)
  6. This wire is connected to the battery negative
  7. This wire is connected to the REC Button (When shorted with the ground it makes the camera start/stop recording
  8. This wire is connected to the other side of the photoresistor

Well, you have to supply information about your modification to allow us to understand how the modifications are supposed to be used.

I have a wire coming from the camera that has 3 volts running through it when the camera is on

OK, that is a feedback indicating "Camera on". The 3V potential is measured at the camera with respect to ground, right? So you would need the camera's ground as well, connected to Arduino ground.

photo resistor connected to a blinking LED to sense when the camera is recording

I assume it is not electrically connected, but sensing the LED? Can be used as "Camera recording" signal.

wire running to the power button

this is a bit murky, we have no way of knowing the connections of the power button in the camera's circuitry. On way to avoid mixing voltages is to use a relay with normally open contacts connected with 2 wires over the power button, then control the relay with the Arduino...

wire running to the record button itself

Same as above...

make a drawing of the electrical connections you have done, and indicate the electrical potentials, i.e. where did you measure them.

Explain the workings of the power/recording buttons. Are they momentary buttons. i.e. press to close and spring return to open, or are they staying on until you switch them off. I would guess momentary.

const int analogPin = A0; // pin that the camera PWR sensor is attached to
const int ledPin = 12; // pin that the camera PWR button is attached to
const int threshold = 400; // an arbitrary threshold level that’s in the range of the analog input

void setup() {
// initialize the Camera PWR button as an output:
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
// initialize serial communications:
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
// read the value of the camera PWR:
int analogValue = analogRead(analogPin);

// if the analog value is too low, “Press” the PWR button:
if (analogValue < threshold) {
digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
delay(500);
digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
delay(5000);
}
else {
digitalWrite(ledPin,LOW);
}

// print the analog value:
Serial.println(analogValue, DEC);

}
I was using this to keep the camera on, it it just a modified version of an “If” tutorial, but then I was getting error messages when i tried to upload and I thought I did something bad the to Uno. It did however seem to be working alright but I figured it would be cheaper if I just paid someone $50 instead of me frying a couple of arduinos. I have since done a couple of reboots and unplugging the board and checking the ports and I have uploaded the “Blink” example just to make sure the board itself is still working, and it seems to be. The photoresistor itself is not wired into the circuitry of the camera it is glued to the front of a blinking LED. The power button is a momentary button and i was shorting the 2 wires together for 1/2 a second to turn the camera on. Alls I now have connected are the 3 volt power indicator going into A0, ground to the arduino ground and the camera PWR button to Digital 12

So is the camera power button's other side is just connecting it to ground?

You have a camera with a 3V supply and you are feeding 5V pulses into it. That is not going to do it much good. One golden rule in electronics is never put in signals that are higher than the supply voltage. Your arduino will be alright but your camera will not.

yes the button itself is almost like a miniature bowl made out of metal flipped over so when u press it connects with the piece of metal underneath it (which is the camera ground) and then it pops right back up; these are the locations have I have connected the wires to for the ground and Rec button

So when you do :- digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH); you are sending 5V into the camera.

By the way when posting code on this forum select it and hit the # icon.

thank you

should i use a different output?

No you should take steps to stop you applying 5V to the camera. There are many ways of doing this but perhaps a transistor would be best. Arduino output to a 4K7 resistor, emitter to ground and collector to camera. Then a 10K resistor from this collector to the camera's power line.

my son is waking up from his nap so I will have to stop for a little while, I appreciate all the help that you have given me so far

i have drawn a picture of my wiring on the transistor but i'm not to sure of how to upload it. but i have the ardiuno digital 12 going to a 4k7 resistor then continuing to the base on the transistor, i have the collector connected to the wire coming from the camera PWR button and the emitter connected to the ground, but i wasnt sure where to put the 10k resistor?

i have drawn a picture of my wiring on the transistor

That'll be a pretty small picture, won't it?

but i'm not to sure of how to upload it.

Below the reply box it says additional options, click the triangle. The 10K goes from the collector to the camera's supply.

so just to be sure ( cause i dont want to fry something ) am i connecting the 10k resistor from the camera battery positive to the collector which is also connected to the camera pwr button?

Snapshot_20111103.jpg

am i connecting the 10k resistor from the camera battery positive to the collector which is also connected to the camera pwr button?

Yes, if you are a bit apprehensive leave it out. What voltage do you measure on this button when it is not pressed? You are connecting this wire to ground through the transistor to switch it on. When it is not being connected to ground it has to be at some voltage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt8ZjCRgBZA&feature=youtu.be

i made a video response