I would like to make my printer a wireless printer.

I have an hp something or other, I’m not standing next to it to look at it or even in the same building at the moment. I was wondering if I could get a Wi-Fi shield and usb shield for my arduino if I could turn it into a wireless printer. Have the arduino revive the packets to print over Wi-Fi and feed them over the usb cable to the printer? And could it still look like what it does to print just have wireless or something after the printer name?

Very difficult. Find a "wireless print server" instead to go from PC to printer.

My printer is not a wireless printer. So I wanted to make it one. What would a "wireless printer server" do for me? Wouldn't it have to be wireless to begin with? I want to send packets from my computer, say I typed a spread sheet up, to the router then to the arduino with a wireless shield, then to the printer, from arduino with a female usb plug to the printer usb plug like it is hard weird to the computer.

It would help if you actually performed an internet search for "wireless print server" to understand what one is. You will never get an HP printer working over wifi with an Arduino. Ain't going to happen.

A print server has a network connection (wired ethernet and/or wi-fi wireless) and either USB output or parallel port that you hook up to the printer. Many printers are supported if the printer has a driver in the printer itself. If the printer relies on the host for the driver (a so-called winprinter), it likely won't work.

I'm not sure an Arduino has enough memory to be able to make a wireless print server from parts, and it is likely to be cheaper to buy one off the shelf (unless you want to learn how to do it).

It would be fairly simple to set up a Rasberry Pi/Beagle Bone Black to be a print server. Well simple in terms of wiring, just add a wired USB hub and a USB wireless card, and hook up the printer to another USB port, but if you are not experienced at Linux/UNIX administration, it may take some time to to learn the various menus. Or get an old PC, and add a wifi card, and then configure it to share the printer.

I would probably still go for the off-the-shelf print server, just because it is more convenient.

Here is an example of a print server that uses USB connections: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3U71H31741.

I did not see any print servers that did wireless + parallel port, but there were several that did normal ethernet + parallel port.

https://www.google.com/search?q=raspberry+pi+print+server&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&gws_rd=ssl

The wireless print server already suggested seems like the best approach, but as an alternative it's possible to get a wireless USB extender. It's also possible to carry a USB signal over a mains circuit. Either of these would enable you to eliminate the USB cable between the PC and printer.

I use DataLink DPR-1260 for WinVista (took some fooling around) and Win7 and Win7Pro.
Altho Win7 seems to have stopped working recently, some Win7 update occurred that has stopped it from working.

MichaelMeissner:
If the printer relies on the host for the driver (a so-called winprinter), it likely won't work.

Almost all printers sold nowadays are Winprinters, and they work just fine. The install disk sets up the IP address and such when it installs the driver.

What is absurd is that "wireless" networked printers cost any more than plain USB ones, but then printer pricing is mendacious in any case. Last week or so I bought two mini Xerox laser printers for $15 each from Officeworks. Of course the full toner cartridges cost at least $90. So when you run out of toner, you just buy another $15 printer? Well, no actually, because when that happens they will no longer be on "special" (or even available for that matter).

I would like to make my printer a wireless printer

Open the printer enclosure and remove all wires. Voila! Wireless printer!