i2c clarification

hi all, i've received a couple of DS1621 temperature sensors and am researching i2c... however, one issue that needs clarification is address assignment... the best i can understand from the spec sheet and google is that the DS1621 address is set by grounding pins on the device itself... i've seen some other devices that appear to be set at the factory... with the three pins, i am only able to use these eight addresses:

0x0 --- 0x1 --+ 0x3 -++ 0x7 +++ 0x6 ++- 0x4 +-- 0x5 +-+ 0x2 -+-

am i on the right track here?...

thanks, isaac

am i on the right track here?...

yep.

-j

You are correct; this means you can use eight devices on the [u]same[/u] I2C buss. If you needed more you could in fact synthesize a secondary I2C buss (not terribly easy with the Arduino, but as I've done it with the BASIC Stamp 2 I'm certain it's possible) to communicate with more devices.

thanks guys... i'm not looking to use more than one at the moment, just trying to get up to speed with using i2c...

JM - i used your DS1621 code as a starting point - thanks for that... (though, i've yet to build a circuit to read from it :-/)

thanks, isaac

You're welcome. Connections are pretty easy: just the chip, a couple 4.7K resistors and some hook-up wire. Have fun.