IDE 1.0.6 on OSX 10.10.2 - No Serial Ports Available

Hi,

I bought an Arduino Uno R3 a few weeks ago and have been playing with it successfully running IDE 1.6.2 on OS X 10.10.2. Today I was looking into one of Adafruits libraries that said it had some issues with the 1.6 IDEs so i downloaded the 1.0.6 IDE.

After opening up the 1.0.6 IDE, I could no longer see the serial connection through the Tools -> Serial Port menu.

The only other thing I changed was i used an external power adapter for the first time (12v 1.5A).

I don't see how either of these would affect the serial connection but it just will not work.

Any help is appreciated!!

Run "System Information" and check that your board still shows up under USB. If it doesn't there is something wrong with the Arduino, the cable, the USB port, or the USB drivers. Have you tried going back to USB power? Did you have anything else connected to the Arduino? Is it a genuine Arduino using an ATmega16U4 for the USB to Serial or a clone using some other chip?

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried a few different USB cables and believe its something on the actual arduino board. The board doesn't show up in "System Information".

I'm back using USB power only and have nothing connected to the Arduino board. It's a genuine Arduino board with the ATMEGA chip.

I'm baffled by what could have caused this and I'm led to think its something on the board - either hardware or software.

Sounds like a hardware problem between the USB connector and the ATmega16u2. Get a magnifier and look for cracked solder connections in that area.