IDE 1.5.7 missing SPI library

In IDE 1.5.4 the SPI library was still in the libraries directory, but in 1.5.7 it is missing.

you can add a library manually !!!

Each core has its own version, its not in the root libraries folder.

arduino-1.5.7\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI
arduino-1.5.7\hardware\arduino\sam\libraries\SPI

pYro_65:

I really do not understand why this is so given the new library specification.
Best regards
Jantje

pYro_65:

Thank you for pointing out the location of the library. But how do I include it in my sketch? #include <SPI.h> doesn’t seem to work.

Time to post your sketch.

pYro_65:

Setup is for Arduino Leonardo.
This is the sketch, it is C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\examples\ask\ask_transmitter\ask_transmitter.pde:

// ask_transmitter.pde
// -*- mode: C++ -*-
// Simple example of how to use RadioHead to transmit messages
// with a simple ASK transmitter in a very simple way.
// Implements a simplex (one-way) transmitter with an TX-C1 module

#include <RH_ASK.h>
#include <SPI.h> // Not actually used but needed to compile

RH_ASK driver;

void setup()
{
    Serial.begin(9600);	  // Debugging only
    if (!driver.init())
         Serial.println("init failed");
}

void loop()
{
    const char *msg = "hello";

driver.send((uint8_t *)msg, strlen(msg));
    driver.waitPacketSent();
    delay(200);
}

What might be more interesting is the logging:

Third-party platform.txt does not define compiler.path. Please report this to the third-party hardware maintainer.
Using library RadioHead in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead (legacy)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=157 -DARDUINO_AVR_LEONARDO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x8036 -DUSB_MANUFACTURER= -DUSB_PRODUCT="Arduino Leonardo" -ID:\downloads\arduino-1.5.4-r2-windows\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino -ID:\downloads\arduino-1.5.4-r2-windows\arduino-1.5.4\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\leonardo -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead C:\Users\cdn\AppData\Local\Temp\build7729941326863014571.tmp\ask_transmitter.cpp -o C:\Users\cdn\AppData\Local\Temp\build7729941326863014571.tmp\ask_transmitter.cpp.o 
ask_transmitter.pde:8:60: fatal error: SPI.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

cvdenzen:

pYro_65:

Setup is for Arduino Leonardo.

Why do you select "Leonardo" if you are working on/programming for a Yun? :~

Ralf

I am not programming on Yun, I am programming on Leonardo.
My thoughts for using the 1.5.7 IDE for Yun are:

• version 1.5.7 is the newest version and should support all boards.
  • It is easier for the developers to maintain only one IDE version, so the older versions are going to be obsolete soon
  • I want to help the Arduino IDE team by testing the 1.5.7 version against my Leonardo board
  • I want the newest bugs :smiley: (they tend to be resolved quickest)

If the development team has other ideas about this, I will gladly try older IDE versions. it would have been nice to make this clear to the users (e.g. by refusing other boards than Yun boards in the 1.5.7 IDE).

cvdenzen:
I am not programming on Yun, I am programming on Leonardo.
My thoughts for using the 1.5.7 IDE for Yun are:

• version 1.5.7 is the newest version and should support all boards.
  • It is easier for the developers to maintain only one IDE version, so the older versions are going to be obsolete soon
  • I want to help the Arduino IDE team by testing the 1.5.7 version against my Leonardo board
  • I want the newest bugs :smiley: (they tend to be resolved quickest)

If the development team has other ideas about this, I will gladly try older IDE versions. it would have been nice to make this clear to the users (e.g. by refusing other boards than Yun boards in the 1.5.7 IDE).

But this is a Yun related forum!
If you are not using the Yun but a Leonardo and your problem is not Yun specific, you should post your issues in a Leonardo related or better, in the software development forum.

The 1.5.x BETA IDE is not a "Yun IDE", it works on all boards, no point in "refusing other boards". It's just that in order to support the Due and Yun (and the Galileo, though Intel maintains their own version of the 1.5.x branch IDE), you have to use this branch, as there is no support for producing ARM code (as needed for the Due) or supporting the bridge library (for the Yun) in the 1.0.x branch.

Ralf

I posted this issue in this forum, because the download page states "WARNING: This software is a beta version, you may encounter bugs or unexpected behaviours. Please discuss any issues in the Yún forum or Due forum".
The problem I found is a kind of "any issue", isn't it?

Any suggestions what to do? (my main goal is to help getting the Arduino software better)

cvdenzen:
I posted this issue in this forum, because the download page states "WARNING: This software is a beta version, you may encounter bugs or unexpected behaviours. Please discuss any issues in the Yún forum or Due forum".
The problem I found is a kind of "any issue", isn't it?

But it is not a Yun specific issue, it is a IDE specific issue...

Any suggestions what to do? (my main goal is to help getting the Arduino software better)

See my previous reply...

Ralf