IDE 1.6.10 An error occurred while uploading the sketch, 1.6.9 works OK

I also observed a lot of problems with IDE 1.6.10 So I uninstalled it and went back to IDE 1.6.9 That appears to have fixed everything for me Best regards, E

Lost a whole work day on 2 computers trying to figure out what was wrong. Most of the time I cant upload ANYTHING on my brand new dell xps... Frustrated to say the least

Just use Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.11 or previous and the problem should be solved. If you're still experiencing upload problems when not using Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.12 you may have a different issue.

Thank you so much for this. As an absolute newbie, and feeling like a dick as everything worked OK when I went back to supplier for help after buying my first unit day before yesterday!! Downloaded 1.6.9 & everything now OK

IDE bitRead-Error ?!??

Hi Can anybody help me with this:

Why am I getting this bitRead-error now ..?

C:\Users\BS\Documents\Arduino\SporKontrol\SporKontrol.ino: In function 'void setup()':

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:103:29: error: expected identifier before '(' token

define bitRead(value, bit) (((value) >> (bit)) & 0x01)

^ I've reinstalled IDE 1.6.9 (in stead of 1.6.10) and now it can't compile ..! Has it anything to do with updated timeAlarm (1.6.11) ???

Regards bs

Got my Leonardo yesterday. Already had a couple of sketches compiled. I live near Ottawa Canada Took 8 days to get it from Sparksfun(USA). Took that week to work on sketches. Well, same here Windows XP, ide 1.6.10. Always check to make sure .com link of sketch matches com link in system. That said, I did manage to upload one sketch and then the other after many many tries by playing with the reset button in all ways possible. My micro usb cable is a 4 ft. insigna (17 bucks!!). I suspect the cable is too long or too poor a quality. It says on box transfers data between most mp3 players,cell phones,smartphons,tablets,and more to your PC` However, by the thinness of the cable i suspect the wires may be too small.

inventeur

@pert: 1.6.10 same issue, the workarround was helpfull, thanks

pert: There is a bug in Arduino IDE 1.6.10 that can cause that issue when you start the IDE by opening a sketch(.ino) file(by double clicking on it, etc.). Please try this:

• Close all Arduino IDE windows
  • Start the Arduino IDE, not by opening a sketch file.
  • Open the sketch file via File > Open, File > Sketchbook, or File > Examples

The sketch you want may automatically opened when the IDE starts and that should also work fine.

If this solves your problem please let me know so I provide more proof to the developers that this is a real bug.

hi,

i have recently download this arduino software and install in to my dell machine laptop ,window8 / 64bit machine, the error once i am compile . the coding is simple led blink ,this coding i download from arduino website and also its already in IDE for sample programming. the same programming i install and test in the another PC window /64bit machine its working well,this means no any error in the programming, i have test another PC also window7/64bit machine ,but its working well no error. only the error appear in the my LAPTOP window8/64bit Dell machine. so i need help from this forum any one please help for this issues. i also remove and install the software many times ,and update driver many times ,the results its same error message when compile. need help please. my email segarlinktech@gmail.com

thank you

(ERROR MESSAGE)
Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 8.1), Board: “Arduino Uno”

WARNING: Category ‘’ in library EEPROM is not valid. Setting to ‘Uncategorized’
WARNING: Category ‘’ in library SPI is not valid. Setting to ‘Uncategorized’
WARNING: Category ‘’ in library SoftwareSerial is not valid. Setting to ‘Uncategorized’
WARNING: Category ‘’ in library Wire is not valid. Setting to ‘Uncategorized’
Warning: platform.txt from core ‘Arduino AVR Boards’ contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} “{build.path}/{archive_file}” “{object_file}”, automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} “{archive_file_path}” “{object_file}”. Consider upgrading this core.
In file included from sketch\Blink.ino.cpp:1:0:

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.6.7\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:23:20: fatal error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory

#include <stdlib.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Uno.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

Why are you posting on this thread? Your problem has nothing to do with Arduino IDE 1.6.10 or 1.6.9.

You're using an ancient version of Arduino AVR Boards. You need to update it:

• Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for downloads to complete
  • Click on "Arduino AVR Boards"
  • Click the "Update" button
  • Wait for installation to complete
  • Click the "Close" button

hi every one
i am getting problem

Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Uno”

Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “\.\COM3”: The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

if any one knew about it please reply…

vishwateja: hi every one i am getting problem

Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes. Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes. avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" option enabled in File -> Preferences.

if any one knew about it please reply....

That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. You need to select your Arduino's port from the Tools > Port menu.

An error occurred while sketching.
Plzzzz help me.
Plzzzz…

so I have this liitle program

void setup() { pinMode(7,OUTPUT); pinMode(8,OUTPUT); pinMode(9,OUTPUT); }

void loop() { digitalWrite(7,LOW); digitalWrite(8,HIGH); analogWrite(9,100); delay(1000); digitalWrite(7,HIGH); digitalWrite(8,LOW); analogWrite(9,50); delay(3000);

}

and it compiles but won't load. all I get is,"An error occurred while uploading the sketch" ?

alain30082:
so I have this liitle program

Please use code tags (</> button on the toolbar) when you post code or warning/error messages. The reason is that the forum software can interpret parts of your code as markup, leading to confusion, wasted time, and a reduced chance for you to get help with your problem. This will also make it easier to read your code and to copy it to the IDE or editor. Using code tags and other important information is explained in the How to use this forum post. Please read it.

Please always do a Tools > Auto Format on your code before posting it. This will make it easier for you to spot bugs and make it easier for us to read.

alain30082:
and it compiles but won’t load. all I get is,“An error occurred while uploading the sketch” ?

Update your Arduino IDE to 1.8.1

i just downloaded arduino 1.8.2 for windows and seeing the same problem. Being new to Arduino, this is really frustrating. I have tried all the tricks mentioned here with no success. Someone kindly help.

fred:
i just downloaded arduino 1.8.2 for windows and seeing the same problem. Being new to Arduino, this is really frustrating. I have tried all the tricks mentioned here with no success. Someone kindly help.

Please do this:

• Tools > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > compilation (uncheck) > upload (check) > OK
  • Sketch > Upload
  • After the process fails you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages”. Click that button.
  • Paste the error messages in a reply here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the toolbar).

With the 1.8.4 IDE my arduino uno while trying to upload a sketch has these error words: sketch uses 1196 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Max. Is 32256 bytes Global variables use 11 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2037 bytes for local variables. Max. Is 2048 bytes. AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED WHILE UPLOADING THE SKETCH AVRDUDE: STK500_RECV () : PROGRAMMER IS NOT RESPONDING AVRDUDE: STK500_GETSYNC () ATTEMPT 1 OF 10: NOT IN SYNC: RESP=0×8F AVRDUDE: STK500_RECV () : PROGRAMMER IS NOT RESPONDING AVRDUDE: STK500_GETSYNC () ATTEMPT 2 OF 10: NOT IN SYNC: RESP=0×8F AVRDUDE: STK500_RECV () : PROGRAMMER IS NOT RESPONDING AVRDUDE: STK500_GETSYNC () ATTEMPT 3 OF 10: NOT IN SYNC: RESP=0×8F AVRDUDE: STK500_RECV () : PROGRAMMER IS NOT RESPONDING AVRDUDE: STK500_GETSYNC () ATTEMPT 4 OF 10: NOT IN SYNC: RESP=0×8F AVRDUDE: STK500_RECV () : PROGRAMMER IS NOT RESPONDING AVRDUDE: STK500_GETSYNC () ATTEMPT 5 OF 10: NOT IN SYNC: RESP=0×8F and so on until 10 of 10 not in sync

Has it worked before? Just carefully check all the settings under TOOLS - i.e. board, port, programmer. Make sure all the plugs are plugged in. It's a common error, so don't worry. But everything has to be right to work. Give the Arduino board a check over, chip in place, power LED on, TX/RX LEDs flashing. Make sure nothing else is connected to the board that could drag the power down. I've had this many times and 9 times out of 10 it comes back as blindingly obvious. 1.8.4 works fine.

Arduino: 1.8.4 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 1478 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes. Global variables use 200 bytes (9%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1848 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes. C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM2 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_353885/serial.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/ Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM2 Using Programmer : arduino An error occurred while uploading the sketch Overriding Baud Rate : 115200 avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM2": The system cannot find the file specified.

avrdude done. Thank you.

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Anupriyarose: Arduino: 1.8.4 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 1478 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes. Global variables use 200 bytes (9%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1848 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes. C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM2 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_353885/serial.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/ Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM2 Using Programmer : arduino An error occurred while uploading the sketch Overriding Baud Rate : 115200 avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM2": The system cannot find the file specified.

avrdude done. Thank you.

Select the port that corresponds to your Arduino board from tools -> port menu. Windows can assign different com port numbers to the same device depending on what port it's plugged into and occasionally other factors. If tools -> port is greyed out, no COM ports are present - this indicates either a driver problem, bad USB cable (there has been a plague of defective USB cables in the arduino community recently), bad USB port, or a damaged arduino.

Do not hijack threads - this is a thread from years ago, which has nothing to do with your problem (the original issue described in this thread was a bug introduced in 1.6.10 and fixed in 1.6.11 - Arduino is now up to version 1.8.5!) which has been hijacked (like you did) with unrelated posts several times since. This makes it harder for people answering your questions, and is considered rude (on all forums, not just here). Please read: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=148850.0