IDE 1.6.2 BOARDS TXT FILES NOT IN HARDWARE FOLDER

IDE 1.6.2 can any one shed some light on the where abouts of the boards txt files etc,the hardware folder just has tools folder in with serial.exe and thats it.Where are the boards txt files?

Operating system?

Do not cross-post.

Hi,ime using windows,xp

%APPDATA%\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.6.2\

Man, I hate it when applications scatter their important files all over the disk... WHY?

In this case, the Arduino folks are simply following the rules set by Microsoft.

Putting packages where they are now allows the operating system to automatically propagate the files to other computers for people who use multiple computers. I suspect it will be a welcome change for corporate and educational administrators.

The new location is automatically included in backups. The old location was typically not.

That particular location is not meant to be directly accessed by the end user. If / when the Arduino folks round-out the IDE the vast majority will no longer need to know about it. (Maybe not even us "advanced" users.)

I suspect it will be a welcome change for corporate and educational administrators.

Most corporations are only going to back-up user data files. Todays corps are all about imaging, restoring non-core applications, and popping in the user's data. Applications are "packaged" and installed with elevated priviledges, so files csn be placed anywhere. Personally, I do not see Arduino as a viable corporate tool for mass developers - maybe a few working on a skunkworks project. But, I came from a Fortune 100 environment.

I will not speak to what an educational IT support group might do... which way does the wind blow today? Of the few I am aware, they do binary imaginging too.

Personally, I think the Arduino team is making some really poor decisions.

Ray

It appears this change will be reverted in 1.6.3.

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/commit/29cb42eb50e50af0878ec62f6d7c896ca17ef043

%APPDATA%\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.6.2\

Just what I want is a couple gigs of gcc in per-user APPDATA space instead of someplace central? Does the .zip file (for non-admin install) still keep everything in one place? And does that mean that third party developers will have to handle the two types of install separately?

westfw:
Does the .zip file (for non-admin install) still keep everything in one place? And does that mean that third party developers will have to handle the two types of install separately?

Nope, I thought it had crashed, as on first run it extracted everything taking a fair while.

As for the custom cores. I think there have been some major issues, which is why 1.6.3 will be reverted back to the hardware folder.

Version 1.6.1 could be used until 1.6.3 is released. The core API has only changed very slightly (My EEPROM library and a few bits n pieces.) Most of the changes in the upgrade from 1.6.1 were IDE based.

westfw: Just what I want is a couple gigs of gcc in per-user APPDATA space instead of someplace central?

That is a poor choice. There is a better place for such things.

However, I have often crossed paths with administrators who restrict access to that better place. In those cases trying to use the better place results in a very difficult support issue.

If anyone reading this has suggestions please offer them on the Developers List.

1.6.3 is released now. The tool-chain is unpacked into the hardware folder instead of the user folder.

pYro_65: 1.6.3 is released now. The tool-chain is unpacked into the hardware folder instead of the user folder.

This statement is true for AVR-based boards, however 1.6.3 installs files for the Due in APPDATA.

Jon

stratosfear: This statement is true for AVR-based boards, however 1.6.3 installs files for the Due in APPDATA.

Jon

I had my say about this here but I'm going to repeat the main message again:

If this is the havoc that the Arduino-Arduino wars is going to create - I'm dropping the GUI and moving elsewhere. Before these fools kill each other and the Arduino brand, they better move the Java GUI to a 3rd party for support and development. Otherwise, it is the kiss of death as other GUI's are capable of compiling Arduino'ish code.

Opinion by Ray MCSE