IDE 1.6.4 & Ethernet examles (won't compile)

hey gang-..

I have had this Ethernet shield (Wiznet5100) laying around for a while.. when I first got it. I recall, 'testing it' with some example sketches.

I pull this out again (literally a year or more).. I have since been updated to IDE 1.6.4 and the built in Ethernet examples dont even compile?

The IDE just 'hangs' at compiling sketch................

then nothing happens.

if I go to load the stock blink sketch, it compiles and loads fine.. but built in Ethernet examples dont compile.

Is this a known issue? What is the fix?

thanks
-xl

Yes, I believe this is a known issue: IDE 1.6.4 Compiler warnings setup · Issue #3124 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub. It happens only on 1.6.4 and is different from user to user and may be fixed by changing your File > Preferences > Compiler warnings level to a lower setting. I would recommend upgrading to at least 1.6.5-r5 if you don't have a particular reason for staying on 1.6.4.

If I upgrade… do I need to install all the same board (board manager) stuff again?

If you're upgrading to 1.6.5-r5 then no. If you're upgrading to 1.6.6 or later on Windows then maybe. The Arduino15 folder location on Windows was moved after 1.6.5-r5. 1.6.6 tries to copy everything over to the new folder on the first run, sometimes this fails and causes the IDE to not start up. I'm not sure if versions after 1.6.6 do this. You could always manually copy the folder over. The locations are:
On Windows:
Arduino IDE 1.6.5r5 and previous:
C:\Users(username)\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15
Arduino IDE 1.6.6 and later:
C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Arduino15

I tried to upgrade to 1.6.7 (bad mistake!) lol

now the IDE wont start at all (man… all this trouble just to get Ethernet examples working… to help someone ‘else’!) lol…

I installed 1.6.7, I click on icon… and the start/splash screen shows… then disappears.

I searched a bit, and read about using arduino_debug.exe from command line…

so I did that, but I’m not sure WHAT the error means… (seems to be Java related?)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino>arduino_debug.exe
Loading configuration...
Initializing packages...
java.lang.NullPointerException 

at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributedPlatform.equals(ContributedPlatform.java:111)
at java.util.ArrayList.remove(ArrayList.java:528)
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionsIndexer.mergeContributions(ContributionsIndexer.java:140)
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionsIndexer.parseIndex(ContributionsIndexer.java:91)
at processing.app.BaseNoGui.initPackages(BaseNoGui.java:597) 
at processing.app.Base.<init>(Base.java:295)
at processing.app.Base.guardedMain(Base.java:222)
at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:136)

any ideas?

xl97:
I tried to upgrade to 1.6.7 (bad mistake!) lol

now the IDE wont start at all (man… all this trouble just to get Ethernet examples working… to help someone ‘else’!) lol…

I installed 1.6.7, I click on icon… and the start/splash screen shows… then disappears.

I searched a bit, and read about using arduino_debug.exe from command line…

so I did that, but I’m not sure WHAT the error means… (seems to be Java related?)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino>arduino_debug.exe

Loading configuration…
Initializing packages…
java.lang.NullPointerException

at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributedPlatform.equals(ContributedPlatform.java:111)
at java.util.ArrayList.remove(ArrayList.java:528)
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionsIndexer.mergeContributions(ContributionsIndexer.java:140)
at cc.arduino.contributions.packages.ContributionsIndexer.parseIndex(ContributionsIndexer.java:91)
at processing.app.BaseNoGui.initPackages(BaseNoGui.java:597)
at processing.app.Base.(Base.java:295)
at processing.app.Base.guardedMain(Base.java:222)
at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:136)

any ideas?

however, renaming the Arduino15 folder you mention as well as mentioned here (to rename it)

fixed it… and seems to be working…

however… if I try to copy over the contents from my previous Arduino15 folder… it ‘breaks’ again.

xl97:
I installed 1.6.7, I click on icon.. and the start/splash screen shows.. then disappears.

I think that's caused by the attempt to automatically copy the Arduino15 folder from the old location to the new location failing. I've run into that a couple of times, seems to cause more problems than it's worth.

xl97:
however.. if I try to copy over the contents from my previous Arduino15 folder.. it 'breaks' again.

That's strange. Try only copying over the Arduino15\packages folder. That's where all the boards packages are. Other than that the only useful thing is the Arduino15\preferences.txt file. I would recommend just copying the File > Preferences > Additional Boards Manager URLs(or boardsmanager.additional.urls= from Arduino15\preferences.txt) from 1.6.4 over and then just manually set your preferences to what they were before in 1.6.7. After getting past the issues of upgrading to 1.6.7, future updates should go smoothly since once the new Arduino15 folder is created it won't try to copy the old one over any more, at least that's been my experience.