ide cant access any boards

I've just had a meltdown and had to reinstall my machine. Reload windows(7) and rebuild from backups with new hard drive(SSD).

I've re-installed arduino(1.8.13) and now can't get any of my boards to find a port in the ide. Boards tried: uno, mega, nano, esp32.

I've installed all the mobo drivers. I've tried to reinstall the drivers for the error'd USB port in control panel/system/device manager from the arduino drivers library.

I've reloaded arduino ide twice.....

in the tools/port menu I just see com1 and com2, neither of which connect to the board that is plugged in.

anybody got any suggestions?

*** edit: after some messing about I can get the esp boards to register but it does not recognise uno or nano

COM 1 and 2 are DEFAULT posts reserved under windows and almost never used for Arduino.

Usually that COM is 3 or higher.

Just in case you need to re-install the IDE I have attached some clean up instructions.

Fact that you have moved to an SSD should be no issue as I use them also.

Am also providing you with some extra help in the two links below and maybe the second has something of use for you

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

CLEAN UP BEFORE INSTALLING ANOTHER COPY OF THE IDE OR ARDUINO CREATE.pdf (347 KB)

I have solved the problem although I'm not sure it's identified the cause....

I finally downloaded some ch340 drivers from here:

I don't remember doing this back in the day but having spent an hour loading and reloading the proper arduino drivers and getting nowhere I am happy to have a result.....

I feel certain that other users with win 7 may have encountered this at some time, but being win 7 it's probably lost to time.