IDE can't find serial port

I'm trying to use a Pololu AVR USB programmer in the Arduino IDE. It sets itself up as /dev/ttyACM0 but the IDE doesn't show that as an option. Is there a way to tell it where it is?

Thanks

Joe

• Maybe the device is used by another process (dumb-terminal, ..)
  • Maybe you compile kernel-support (depends on your distro)
  • Maybe your user has no permisson

No, it's not those things. I can use this programmer with avrdude directly, and it works fine. The Arduino IDE just doesn't seem to be able to see it.

Does the IDE have a hard-coded list of devices it'll deal with maybe?

Thanks

Joe

Which of the several pololu programmers is it, ICSP or serial type?

Try plugging in the programmer and click on tools / burn bootloader and see it listed as an option, probably as a USBtiny?

Lefty

If it was me I would make a sym link to something like ttyUSB0 or some other number like ttyUSB5. You will need to see what is made already for USB ports so you don’t step on any. You don’t need to make a node because the node is already there. Use something like
ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/ttyUSB< one number higher then what you already have zero if you have none >
This might or might not work. But it won’t blow anything up.

I did some digging and read the readme in Arduino/hardware/arduino/firmwares. And found this little tidbit of info:
“The production version of the arduino-usbserial firmware uses the
Arduino VID. This is only for use with official Arduino hardware and
should not be used on other products.”

I don’t know if that applies to you or not.

Hope it helps.

joseph_m: If it was me I would make a sym link to something like ttyUSB0 or some other number like ttyUSB5. You will need to see what is made already for USB ports so you don't step on any. You don't need to make a node because the node is already there.

That's a good thought, and the link does show up in the list. Unfortunately I get the "stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" error.

I did some digging and read the readme in Arduino/hardware/arduino/firmwares. And found this little tidbit of info: "The production version of the arduino-usbserial firmware uses the Arduino VID. This is only for use with official Arduino hardware and should not be used on other products."

I don't know if that applies to you or not.

Me neither. I'll have to look into that. Thanks

Joe

retrolefty: Which of the several pololu programmers is it, ICSP or serial type?

It's this one: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1300

Try plugging in the programmer and click on tools / burn bootloader and see it listed as an option, probably as a USBtiny?

It shows up as "AVR ISP" the way it should, but when I try it, I get "stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"

Oh, well.

Thanks

Joe

It suddenly struck me that the six pin header on an arduino board is only there to put a new bootloader on the board. After that you can only use the serial interface to program it from the IDE. Is that right?

I don't use the Arduino environment that often, but if that's the case then my Pololu programmer isn't going to work for day-to-day programming.

Thanks

Joe