I tried opening my Arduino IDE (1.8.2) and only get the splashscreen (with "Initializing Packages...") and then nothing. I'm using Windows 8.1.
I've read through the posts - trying to see what is "unusual" about my setup?
- I'm working behind a corporate firewall. Need to keep the Network Proxy Settings updated.
- I'm working with the ESP8266 - so have a BSP additional URL: http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json
- I also work with the Intel Arduino 101 and TinyTile. Another BSP: https://github.com/01org/corelibs-arduino101/releases/download/2.0.0/package_2.0.0-rc4_index.json
- Adafruit -- of course! -- Another BSP: https://adafruit.github.io/arduino-board-index/package_adafruit_index.json
That about covers it -- lots of different libraries - but that hasn't really been an issue.
When I go to the Board Manager -- that's when the problems start to crop up. I'll get errors on the downloads when the Board Manager is open (partial downloads, incomplete downloads, the old UTF-32 bad character...etc).
I will then get a puke of Java Errors.
- Tried uninstalling 1.8.2 and rolling back to many different versions. Found 1.6.4 to be the gold "starting point". It seems to be pretty solid and got many of my BSPs loaded without issue.
- Uninstalling means more than just going to "Uninstall Programs", but also deleting the entire directory under C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Arduino15. That gives you a completely clean system (except for libraries that you may have in other locations -- like local libraries).
- Messed a ton with the proxy settings. No effect.
- Messed more with the way the Additional Boards URL is formated. Doesn't like spaces - so beware of that little gotcha.
If you think your BSP downloads have become corrupt -- don't blow the whole installation away, just go to C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Arduino15 and blow away the JSON files and temp files. I pretty much cleaned out the directory except for the preferences.txt file.
Then tried reloading the BSP screen and it re-reads and downloads all the latest JSON files as specificed in your additional Boards option.
Hope this helps a few other poor souls struggling with corrupt BSP downloads -- it can really mess with your head...