IDE error: Sketch compiles on another machine but not mine

There's something wrong with my arduino IDE that I can't figure out. I have a sketch for an ESP8266 Huzzah Feather that compiles just fine on my friend's machine but won't on mine. I've installed the latest boards from the board manager, installed the software drivers, but when I go to compile I get this error:

FindFirstFile C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_417501: The system cannot find the file specified.

Error compiling for board Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266.

I've checked that folder and no such file or folder exists. What cache is it referring to? Is there a way to clear the cache and start over? I can't find any option or menu that suggests there even is a cache.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the IDE twice. I've double checked that the boards are installed and the right board is selected. What else could I be missing? It was working fine a few months ago but now it just won't work.

As you have been playing with the IDE there are some attached clean up instructions that should help get rid of any remnants of the IDE.

Quite often the file not found error can be down to an over aggressive antivirus or similar and seeing as it looks to be going to the correct path it is worth investigation.

Some choices.

1. Turn OFF your extra security to try a compile.
  2. Add the Arduino locations to the security's "exclusions / white list"
  3. Install the IDE as ADMINISTRATOR. (full admin)

Bob.

Strange. Usually that error happens when you’ve compiled once, then left the IDE open for days, and then tried to compile again without closing and reopening the IDE (after windows has cleared the temp files)

I’ve never heard of that error happening on first attempt at compile after starting the IDE.