IDE Help

It was working just fine yesterday, I could upload and Serial Monitor also was working. When I fired up Arduino IDE (version 1.6.9) this morning I found nothing is working, an my compile sketch decrease by almost 6K. I'm unable to upload my sketch, an Serial Monitor will not open. It seems that some how the com port has change from com port 3 to com port 4. So I went to TOOLS -> PORT an found it greyed out. Clicking on it does nothing.

I have reloaded the IDE with out success. When I reset the board Windows does not recolonize the board.

So the question what I do to cuase this problem? How do I get it up working again?

Windows 10 an Adafruit Feather M0.

Rocket Nut

I have been talking on the Adafruit forum an they do not have a clue what is wrong. They have suggested I ask here.

So please help me getting the Arduino IDE back working.

Rocket Nut

Here is the error message:

Arduino: 1.6.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Adafruit Feather M0 (Native USB Port)"

Sketch uses 16,896 bytes (6%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262,144 bytes. PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Isn't the feather based around the MKR1000 ?

BTW please post error messages and code using CODE TAGS as the forum is known to munge characters or character sequences.

From my POV I would start by moving to IDE 1.6.11 Ensure all the boards defs are up to date along with any libs you may want to use.

Unplug the feather before doing any of the above.

Plug it back in and check DEVICE MANAGER to see if it shows up. If not it may be a driver issue.

Win 10 did some updates about a month ago which started to cripple some USB devices (unintentional) Maybe check what updates went in recently and try back track any that mention USB or USBSER.SYS.

Also you could try (not guaranteed) the quickly double tap the reset button. That works for the MKR's by putting it in bootloader mode with a new COM port.

That's about the best advice I can give as I don't have a feather to play with. You are not the first person to come from / be sent by Adafruit asking for help with thier hardware which I consider unfair as the feather is thier board not Arduinos.

This morning when I fried up the IDE, it was seeing the COM 4 port. When I tried upload a sketch I got the folloind error message:

Sketch uses 8,396 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262,144 bytes. Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM4 processing.app.debug.RunnerException at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:162) at cc.arduino.UploaderUtils.upload(UploaderUtils.java:78) at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1186) at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1160) at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1132) at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2409) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) Caused by: processing.app.SerialException: Error touching serial port 'COM4'. at processing.app.Serial.touchForCDCReset(Serial.java:87) at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:146) ... 6 more Caused by: jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - COM4; Method name - openPort(); Exception type - Port busy. at jssc.SerialPort.openPort(SerialPort.java:164) at processing.app.Serial.touchForCDCReset(Serial.java:81) ... 7 more

USE CODE TAGS TO POST YOUR ERROR MSG'S AND CODES ETC.

Also which of the above steps did you follow and what were the results ?????

It’s now see the board. Clicking on Tools>Get Board INfo I get this:

[u]" Also which of the above steps did you follow and what were the results ????? "[/u]

I am up an running an writing code. It seems the old code is some how messing up the USB Serial write function.

The attachmentment is the code that’s cuasing the USB error. I am rewriting the sketch an so far no problems with upload and Serial Monitor works also.

Have A great day:)

Rocket Nut

SketchCode.txt (18.4 KB)

I just hit the same error.

I added a function called “void LogDataToFile()” (@ line 199) to the rewrite. When I uploaded it USB Serial channel went hair wire.

Loading a perverse version and along for other sketches every thing came back on line all works properly. No problems uploading and running. It’s just this new sketch ( attachment is the code).

Rocket Nut

SketchCode.txt (12.2 KB)

I was in two minds as to even bothering with this question as you haven’t replied to questions properly NOR have you used CODE TAGS ( </> )

Posting code as text can depending on the text editor change some sequences of characters.
Hence the reason for asking TWICE for you to do so using tags !

However I tried to compile the TEXT you posted and it compiled perfectly for the MKR !

Maybe you posted the wrong code

I have not tried to run it but based on it compiling just great I suspect your issue is down the what you have wired and how its is wired.

Please post a FULL schematic for it will you ?
As well as a schematic post a picture of the setup (mainly board close in)

I did not see your post about question until I made my first post today. Since I was up and running I assumed that answered you question.

When I use the code "</> button, I get an error message stating I have exceeds the maximum allowed length (see attached screen shot). I will not allow post until I delete the code. That’s why I used a attachment instead of the code button.

As for the schematic what format do want in. I using DesignSpark for schematic/PCB design. I have not beadboard much of the circuit. I am doing the sketch first with very little breadboard to see if it’s possible to do this project. Basically using LEDs to simulate the outputs [like the pyro fire curcuits]. I have ordered the GPS [Adafruit Ultimate GPS Breakout PID#746] unit today. When it comes in I will integrate into he sketch.

I am sorry if did some thing wrong.

Rocket Nut

A schematic is probably better off posted as an ATTACHMENT on here as the forum constrains pictures to a limited size.

I don't have design spark so if the program will EXPORT its output to something more common please use that.

Again pictures are worth a thousand words but as attachments if you can.

I don't know why I did not thnik of using my DropBox app to pass the sketch to you. Here is a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o61hwjie5unezrw/Datalogger_V1.ino?dl=0

I only have two export options, BitMap and MetaFile. They are to large to attach here so here is the links.

BitMap: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9pjoajfaxqxj33/SERA%20DataLogger%20BirdUnit%2054mmTube%20Rev%20B.bmp?dl=0

MetaFile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghb7dfio09wvnrq/SERA%20DataLogger%20BirdUnit%2054mmTube%20Rev%20B.emf?dl=0

As for pic. There really not any thing, Just a beadboard with 6 leds, VBatt TO 5V BoostModule, and the CPU board.

Wow that's quite a schem..

Cant make out too much detail zooming in.

As for the other two files i don't have a DB account but I am sure somebody in the forum does and can help out.

Here is primary PCB board routing. The board is 45mm wide x 222mm high. So it will fit inside a 54mm tube.

Do you understand why I to do the sketch before commenting to actual unit?

If you want a zoomed in let me know what section you want to see.

Where you able to down load the sketch?

A question pop into my feeble mind (oh what a head ach).

Seeing what I am doing. Do think is to much for the Adafruit Feather M0 Adalogger an will not be able to handle this project?

I think it will do the job but the connections from the board are going to be your biggest concern If anything happens to any of them its game over.

I would still bread board as many real components as possible for a test rig or break them down to smaller units to test components give you the results you want just like you are doing with the leds.

I hit the wall again.

I was working on a sketch then the USB error pop up again. Since I have been hitting I started to back up my sketch after making sure it was working.

So now I have 2 sketches that can be compared side by side, line by line.

The back up sketch can be down loaded at:

The new sketch can be down loaded at:

Is there is another way to post the 2 sketches?

Dropbox will "encourage" you to open an account, but it is not needed