IDE Installation Error

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I have a Java or permissions error, but I'm not smart enough to fix it.

I've got the latest version of Java running on a Thinkpad W500 with Windows Vista installed. I'm using arduino-0017. The first time I ran it, I got an error message, but I don't remember what it said (oops!). Now, the arduino icon has changed from the generic application one to the arduino specific one, but when I click on it, it runs for a second, I get the splash screen, then I get a box that says "Settings issues: Arduino cannot run because it could not create a folder to store your settings." I just checked, my account is an administrator account.

Anyone have any ideas?

It's trying to create a folder named "Arduino" in something like "Documents and Settings/blah/Application Data" but can't. The actual location is determined by the value of the "AppData" key in the "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" path in the registry. What's its value? Is there anything unusual about that folder? Is there already an "Arduino" directory there?

There is no arduino folder. The value of AppData is C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming

Is this any help?

I am not logged in as Administrator (to be honest, I'm not sure how to as it came with an image on it from school when I bought it), but my login has administrator permissions.

Maybe try manually creating an "Arduino" folder within C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming and making sure your account has write permissions for it?

First of all, thanks!

I edited the registry to create those folders under the "curtii" (my account) username instead of "Administrator"

I'm pretty sure that anyone with a Thinkpad from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (hopefully google will turn this up) will have this issue, because of some idiosyncracy in the image. I edited the registry so the values of "Appdata" and "Personal" are in folders under my username "curtii" in my case, instead of the default administrator name "Administrator." If school were in session, I'm pretty sure the computing center could help me out, but they're closed. Hopefully this doesn't break any other applications.