IDE issues ... language errors

I just upgraded from version 1.8.5 to 1.8.8 and stable code that I’ve been using for years now is getting compile errors for things like function typing. A boolean function is called out as invalid. A string function is invalid. Others as well. Any ideas what’s going on?

for example… this code

boolean AOM_Validate_Goal(int Goal){
boolean found = false;
for (int i=0; i<MaxGoalsNum; i++){
if (Goal == GoalNumbers*){found = true;*

• ValidGoalIndex =i;}*
  • }*
  • return found;*
    }
    gets an error message
    AOM:219: error: ‘boolean’ does not name a type
    boolean AOM_Validate_Goal(int Goal){

Why did you update to 1.8.8? The newest IDE version is 1.8.9.

Please do this:

• When you encounter an error, you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages” in the Arduino IDE (or the icon that looks like two pieces of paper at the top right corner of the black console window in the Arduino Web Editor). Click that button…
  • In a forum reply here, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum’s code tags markup to your reply.
  • Press “Ctrl + V”. This will paste the error between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.

If the text exceeds the forum’s 9000 character limit, save it to a .txt file and post it as an attachment. If you click the “Reply” button here, you will see an “Attachments and other settings” link.

Please post a complete sketch that demonstrates the issue, using code tags.

why not read the instructs for c

boolean found :o

Mark

By the way your function does not work.

Mark

Why did you update to 1.8.8? The newest IDE version is 1.8.9.

Why did you update at all ?

Thanks Mark.. you are right; the code as copied would not work. somewhere it lost the on the GoalNumbers array. But to the point of why update? It seemed I should do so just to keep up, and I've never had a problem before. As to why not 1.8.9 ... I also use the Teensyduino addon to allow my Teensy CPUs to compile... It's only certified thru version 1.8.8. also as to the C instructs comment.... yes, "bool" is the more up to date term. But changing boolean to bool effected no difference in error message results. I'm going to keep testing, but I've reverted back to the earlier IDE version and gone back to work.