IDE Latest Version? (v1.6.12 vs IDE v1.7.11)

Hello,

I hope I'm posting this in the correct section (if not, please let me know how/where to move it).

I was looking for the latest (stable) Arduino IDE version and came across something a bit confusing which I was hoping someone out there could shed some light on (tried googling it but came up short).

Arduino.cc currently has version 1.6.12 as its latests:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Whereas Arduino.org has version 1.7.11 to offer:

http://www.arduino.org/blog/the-new-arduino-ide-1-7-11-is-now-available

I've downloaded both and they seem to be similar (apart from the version of course), which leads me to wonder if the development of the IDE has split somehow into separate strands, and if so, how to distinguish (or choose) between them?

Can anyone please explain what's going on here?

Yes, the IDE has been split into separate strands. The details of the differences have not been released.

ChrisTenone: Yes, the IDE has been split into separate strands. The details of the differences have not been released.

That's it?? two different versions of the same IDE, being developed in parallel, with the same name & same general look? Am I the only person thinking this situation is seriously bizarre for users as well as developers?

ChrisTenone, I'm sorry but your response just added to my confusion rather than clarified the situation for me. Is one of the above IDEs considered the 'official' one? what about all the compatibility & dependency issues involved? for example, when developing new libraries for the Arduino, which IDE should be used for testing? the first? the second? perhaps both?! (this point is actually pertinent to my current project, as I've got a new library which compiles and works fine on v1.6.12 but gets a strange 'include'-related complier error on v1.7.11...).

So, once again, can anyone out there please help me make sense of this?

arduino.cc and arduino.org are two separate companies. arduino.org was created after a big rift occurred between the original "arduino" people.

The arduino.cc are primarily the original s/w people and the arduino.org are primarily the original h/w people that were doing the original manufacturing of the boards.

arduino.org forked the arduino.cc IDE to create the IDE you see on the arduino.org site. (remember it is open source and anybody can create a fork if they want to)

The arduino.org IDE is quite a bit behind the arduino.cc IDE in terms of features. For example, you won't find the library or board manager in the arduino.org IDE.

The arduino.cc IDE has done quite a bit of updating to the IDE build system and it now does a much better job when converting .ino files to .cpp files. It also now automatically supports sub library dependencies so that if a library includes a header for a dependent library the IDE will handle it, whereas in the past the user sketch had to have an include for it.

Also, there are cases where the arduino.org will improperly insert the Arduino.h header and function prototypes which can break sketch code that uses types declared in header files. https://github.com/arduino-org/Arduino/issues/68

IMO, at this point in time, I would not mess with the arduino.org IDE. It is too far behind the arduino.cc IDE and so it lacks too many very useful features.

--- bill

As another note, I have two fairly complex libraries that I maintain and the code is very portable to work across any/all Arduino boards and processors, including working with the chipkit pic32 processors and MPIDE; however, these libraries won't work with the arduino.org IDE due to the arduino.org IDE build bugs. Another reason, I don't recommend using the arduino.org IDE.

--- bill

bperrybap:
arduino.cc and arduino.org are two separate companies.
arduino.org was created after a big rift occurred between the original “arduino” people . . . IMO, at this point in time, I would not mess with the arduino.org IDE. It is too far behind the arduino.cc IDE and so it lacks too many very useful features.

— bill

Thank you, bill! I very much appreciate you taking the time to explain this. I’ll follow your advice and stick with the arduino.cc. I take your point about open source code and that anyone can fork etc, but I still think it’s crazy to keep the same name/look for both IDEs, hence making them virtually indistinguishable from one another. How hard is it to give a fork a slightly different name so that users/developers can tell apart your fork from other development strands?

On a side-note, one of the depressing consequences of this seems to be that I won’t be able to use my new Wi-Fi Arduino board which apparently can only be used remotely (i.e. for uploading sketches, etc) with the arduino.org IDE. This is a real shame as I was excited about using it for my projects. Do you - or anyone reading this - know of a way to use this board remotely with the arduino.cc IDE?

I wonder if the IDE code will be merged, now that cc and org have resolved their differences.

--Michael

SnowCrashAr: Thank you, bill! I very much appreciate you taking the time to explain this. I'll follow your advice and stick with the arduino.cc. I take your point about open source code and that anyone can fork etc, but I still think it's crazy to keep the same name/look for both IDEs, hence making them virtually indistinguishable from one another. How hard is it to give a fork a slightly different name so that users/developers can tell apart your fork from other development strands?

Well some of the reason for these forks is actually due to arduino.cc and its early members. MPIDE was created before arduino 1.x and before DUE and at that point in time the IDE was hard coded for particular tools and the Arduino IDE developer team absolutely refused to take input on how to make it work for multiple tool sets. (actually during those early days they pretty much refused to take input or advice from anyone extern to their small inner circle) During the 1.5x IDE development some of the MPIDE methodology was incorporated back into arduino.cc IDE.

In the case of the ardiuino.org stuff, you have to remember that the split between the arduino members to form the two separate entities was like a nasty divorce (which still has lawsuits pending) and they are arguing over how to split things up and who owns what. There were a few arduino.cc IDEs that put up nasty warnings/errors when arduino.org arduino h/w was used and I think arduino.org originally did the fork so that they could control their own destiny.

On a side-note, one of the depressing consequences of this seems to be that I won't be able to use my new Wi-Fi Arduino board which apparently can only be used remotely (i.e. for uploading sketches, etc) with the arduino.org IDE. This is a real shame as I was excited about using it for my projects. Do you - or anyone reading this - know of a way to use this board remotely with the arduino.cc IDE?

No clue on that one, other than I don't see why it wouldn't work with the arduino.cc IDE as long as there is virtual serial connectivity. Is this a arduino.org board that isn't supported by the default arduino.cc IDE enviroment? If so, just move the needed board information over to the arduino.cc environment.

For a bit of summary of past history: http://hackaday.com/2015/04/06/arduino-ide-forked/

mjward: I wonder if the IDE code will be merged, now that cc and org have resolved their differences.

--Michael

The arduino.cc IDE is so much further ahead of the arduino.org IDE, that I would think that a more likely scenario would be that arduino.org IDE goes away and arduino.org integrates its libraries into the arduino.cc library manager (assuming arduino.cc would allow it) and makes any needed cores for their boards available through the arduino.cc IDE board manager (which does not require any cooperation on arduino.cc's part)

--- bill

bperrybap: No clue on that one, other than I don't see why it wouldn't work with the arduino.cc IDE as long as there is virtual serial connectivity. Is this a arduino.org board that isn't supported by the default arduino.cc IDE enviroment? If so, just move the needed board information over to the arduino.cc environment.

Hi Bill, thanks for the extra input.

As for the Arduino Uno Wi-Fi, it is indeed an Arduino.org board (a relatively new product from what I can tell). It's basically an Arduino Uno modified so as to have an integrated ESP8266 WiFi Module (here's the product page on Arduino.org: http://www.arduino.org/products/boards/arduino-uno-wifi).

I found this board very appealing because they kept the exact same layout as the original Arduino while adding wi-fi capabilities. This means - in theory at least - that I can use it either as a regular Arduino when I'm out and about or hook-up to it remotely when I'm home and have wifi so I don't have the hassle of cables and such.

Unfortunately, turns out it doesn't have native support within the arduino.cc IDE (v1.6.12).

Btw, I originally considered simply getting a Wi-Fi shield, but this new board seemed like a better option as I can have both wi-fi connectivity and add whichever shield I want on top.

I will look into porting the board information to the arduino.cc IDE, but I haven't got a clue as to setting up the Wi-Fi module or how to work with 'virtual serial connectivity'. Any useful pointers on this?

Also, as this is getting a bit off the original topic, should I start a new thread for this in this section of the forum (or perhaps another section if more appropriate)?

All the best Nadav