IDE load disaster, WinXP and IDE v.1.0.5

I've been using the Arduino IDE for years successfully, but suddenly the IDE will not load.

Even after re-installing. I just get a totally useless popup window,

Launch4j

An error occurred while starting the application.

Not enough info to even scratch your head about. Similarly, I have previous versions of the IDE on the PC, and none of them will load.

The troubleshooting section in this forum says try running "run.bat", but I don't see that anywheres in the IDE directories. So, anyone got an idea on this?

Found this in revisions.txt:

ARDUINO 0004 - 2006.04.26

• Main sketch is now compiled as C++ (instead of C).
  • Updated avr toolchain.
  • printInteger(), printHex(), etc. now handle longs.
  • millis() fixed (now overflows after days, not minutes)
  • Fixed path to java in Windows run.bat.

Maybe your java got updated and is suddenly hosing things?

Google also shows a bunch of stuff, not sure how helpful: https://www.google.com/search?q=run.bat+arduino+winxp&oq=&gs_l=

Thanks Bob, I'll follow this up. If java got updated, it did it on its own recognizance, not on my choosing :-).

Well, I haven't fixed this yet, but discovered run.bat is no longer included in the IDE directory, but had been up until IDE v.0016 or so, where it reads as follows:

@echo off

REM --- if you're running out of memory, change the 128m REM --- (which means 128 megabytes) to something higher.

set SAVEDCP=%CLASSPATH% set SAVEDPATH=%PATH% set JAVA_HOME="java\bin"

if %JAVA_HOME% == "" GOTO Error

set CLASSPATH=java\lib\rt.jar;lib;lib\build;lib\pde.jar;lib\antlr.jar;lib\RXTXcomm.jar;lib\oro.jar;lib\registry.jar;lib\mrj.jar set PATH=java\bin;lib;%PATH%

REM start javaw -ms128m -mx128m processing.app.Base %JAVA_HOME%\java processing.app.Base

set CLASSPATH=%SAVEDCP% set PATH=%SAVEDPATH%

GOTO End

:Error echo *** Error: cannot execute Arduino echo *** Reason: lacking the directory where to find Java in your computer echo *** echo *** Fix: Edit run.bat and add the JAVA_HOME directory echo *** at the 'set JAVA_HOME=""' line echo *** echo *** then call the batch file run.bat in order to execute Arduino

:End Pause echo Bye.

I did try moving this into the IDE directory and executing, and got the following error msg:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: processing/core/PApplet at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:113) Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: processing.core.PApplet ....

In any case, it looks like the main java install on my machine hasn't been updated since 24 Jan 2014, so recent any java update is probably not the problem.

Still scratching the head. What a mess.

Time to move up to a new OS? Vista maybe? Might run ok on XP hardware. I stlill use my Sony Vaio with Vista for code development, and do hardware design on my much new Lenovo laptop/workstation W530 with upgraded i7 processor, memory, and video hardware.

Foo. Everything else works fine, just the Arduino IDE won't load. It probably is time to buy a Win8 machine in any case.

In the meantime, I dusted off my ancient 10-YO WinXP notebook and installed IDE v.1.0.5 on it, and can upload fine to my mega1284 boards, so at least I can work again. Thanks.

Not Win8, too toylike, shit popping in & out from the sides, nothing but unsigned driver issues. I took a Samsung laptop back which had that, couldn't stand using it. Much happier with Win7 Pro SP1 and Chrome for a browser.

Hmm, I figured Win8 would be shipping with all the new notebooks now, and Win7 was scuttled.

I am using XP for many years and time to time I’ve obtained “Launch4j” error message. Usually, another start of IDE helps and in the worst case I had to kill Java process, so I don’t think it is XP problem, but in fact I didn’t investigate deeper this error .

Budvar10:
I am using XP for many years and time to time I’ve obtained “Launch4j” error message. Usually, another start of IDE helps and in the worst case I had to kill Java process, so I don’t think it is XP problem, but in fact I didn’t investigate deeper this error .

Aha, can you explain what you mean by ‘kill java process’? Where do you do this?

Hmm, I figured Win8 would be shipping with all the new notebooks now, and Win7 was scuttled.

No, when I ordered my laptop Win7, Win7Pro were available as options. We have Win7 Enterprise at work, very stable.

Aha, can you explain what you mean by 'kill java process'? Where do you do this?

Run Task Manager (right click on Taskbar) -> Processes -> find process e.g. java.exe -> End Process

By my opinion is better to use Process Explorer which is more comfortable and it has more tools and more detailed info; free download from System Internals (Microsoft page).

Thanks, I am familiar with ending processes that way. As it turns out, the javaw.exe process is NOT started with bootup of the PC, but is started when the IDE is loaded. Then, if I kill it during IDE loading, the IDE icon disappears - and IDE loading is obviously terminated. So, this is no help, duh?

Just to check, I went to the Control Panel and did an update of Java for the machine, but this had no effect on loading the IDE. Still will not load, so I seem to be out of luck on this machine. Thanks for the help, guys.

Dealing with Windows reminds me of the old Outer Limits show ... unfortunately. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outer_Limits_(1963_TV_series)

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to – The Outer Limits.

... awe and mystery, yeah right.

Well, I seem to have fixed the problem now. I did a google search on the problem [which I probably should have done at the beginning], and found loads of different people had seen the problem before, and who also had loads of different "fixes". No two people seem to have fixed it the same way. http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7nphKfpNLmUAKzml87UF?p=arduino+load+error+Lunch4j

So, after going down the long list of putative fixes, and finding NONE of them worked for me, I finally found one that did work, see reply #14 here, where it says "All you need to do is to delete the file or directory". http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=210854.msg1602515#msg1602515

What he means here is to delete preferences.txt, and not REFERENCES. Then, when you restart the IDE, it creates a new file from scratch. It worked for me. I'm not sure what the problem was with the previous preferences file.