IDE locks up when lots of serial data on SM

IDE locks up when lots of serial data on SM. It has been occurring since 1.88 upgrade. I have baud set at 115200.

Thankfully it saves each time you upload! So it's more of a nuisance.

The IDE has been doing that for as long as I can remember. I always make sure that, when I print to serial monitor, that I don't flood the serial monitor. It is not, usually, useful to send data to serial monitor faster than you can read it, anyway.

mattlogue:
IDE locks up when lots of serial data on SM.

I suspect it is more likely that its is your Arduino that locks up because the Serial output buffer is full and it has to wait for it to clear before Serial.print() can add another byte to it.

You can demonstrate this by putting in code to flash an LED and see if that stops. Then run the program without the Arduino connected to a PC and I expect you will see the same behaviour even though the Serial Monitor is not involved.

...R

Nope. Arduino locks up on the PC… it’s not that the data stopped flowing.

Arduino locks up on the PC.

That statement makes no sense. Either the Arduino locked up or some app on the PC did. The Arduino isn’t running on the PC, so it couldn’t lock up there.

IDE locks up, to be more specific. And not before slowing down to a crawl. I have to invoke a second instance to keep on working.

IDE locks up, to be more specific.

The IDE and the Serial Monitor are two different applications. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

The IDE has nothing to do with sending or receiving serial data from the Arduino except when it uploads a new sketch.

I wasn't aware of that. I believe windows views the SM same app as IDE but not sure. Sorry for wasting your time. I'm dumb.

I believe windows views the SM same app as IDE but not sure.

You can use Task Manager to see that they are different executables.

Thankfully it saves each time you upload! So it's more of a nuisance.

To avoid this, open an ide window and go into file>preferences and the settings tab. Remove the check from the box which says "Save when verifying or uploading". Click OK to save the change.

No when it freezes, so to speak, even though a separate process as PauLs points out, saving every time is a good thing. Otherwise I'd lose changes. It only occurs on the ESP32S sending rather rapid serial.prints.

mattlogue:
It only occurs on the ESP32S sending rather rapid serial.prints.

So it’s not actually an Arduino problem at all :slight_smile:

…R

Robin2:
So it's not actually an Arduino problem at all :slight_smile:

...R

No, it's an ESP problem kind of but I use these forums for both. Those ESP forums are terrible.