IDE on Surface Tablet?

I am looking to purchase a Windows 8 surface tablet used exclusively as a "hacker" tablet. Hacker in the terminology that I will be programming Arduino through the IDE and Blogging on my website about technology. It will become a sort of Arduino "Sketchbook" for me to keep in my hacker bag. What I need to know is if the IDE is supported on the Surface tablet, and whether or not it would work. It says that the Surface tablet is basically a touch screen PC but I want to make sure it will work before purchase. I know that a lot of people think that tablets are "Horrible for typing" but in all honesty tablets are just cooler and more fun then PCs. Thanks for the help.

You will need a Surface Pro, period.
Since Surface RT is ARM based, there is no support for the Javaw runtime on this platform at this time. Also, there are device policies that prevent non-Marketplace apps from running on the device. Then there is the issue of g++ on ARM. Not sure that that is possible either.

Are you saying that that the surface pro WILL run the IDE successfully?

I don't know much about Microsoft or Apple tablets.

However, If you went with an Android tablet that has USB-OTG (usb host mode), you could use ArduinoDroid to run the IDE and upload sketches from your Android device to your Uno: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=name.antonsmirnov.android.arduinodroid.

Can you explain what USB-OTG is and what tablets have that? sounds like a very nice option. Do you have any experience programming arduino this way?

ashtonmehrle:
Are you saying that that the surface pro WILL run the IDE successfully?

Yes,
Surface Pro runs standard Windows 8 just like any other PC (x86 instruction set) and can run all the usual Windows software and apps.

I'm assuming it will connect as a "mouse or Keyboard" as all arduino do?

ashtonmehrle:
Can you explain what USB-OTG is and what tablets have that? sounds like a very nice option. Do you have any experience programming arduino this way?

USB-OTG is USB on-the-go (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go).

I have USB-OTG on my Samsung S2 cell phone (t-mobile carrier), and it supports USB-OTG via a cable that plugs into the micro-B cable port on the cell phone, and provides a standard female A port on the other end. I have ArduinoDriod on my phone, and I’ve used it once or twice.

With the small screen, I’m not as interested in doing downloads to the Uno, and most of my development has switched over to using the Teensy 3.0 which is not supported by ArduinoDroid. Also, when I first got it, the phone battery didn’t last that long (an update has made it much better), and I didn’t want to drain the battery even faster using the Uno.

The only tablet I have is the Amazon Kindle Fire (the old model, not the HD), and that unfortunately does not support USB-OTG.

ashtonmehrle:
I'm assuming it will connect as a "mouse or Keyboard" as all arduino do?

Only the newer Arduinos (starting with the Leonardo) have the option to connect as a mouse or keyboard without additional hardware.