IDE plugins???

Mods, please move this thread to where ever is appropriate. This seemed like as good a place as any to post.

I have created my own version of the serial plotter found in version 1.6.9 and have created an Arduino library that supports it. The thing works great. I have total control over how the data is shown, axis and time scaling. I can still get normal Serial debug data as needed. The problem I have is that it uses the serial port need by the IDE for programming. So in order to program, I need to release the port (it's only a minor inconvenience, but still a pain.)

What I would like to do is add my Serial plotter to the IDE as a plugin of some sort so the port would release as needed for programming. Is that possible? I might be able to hook the IDE or monitor that port for something else that needs it, but that would be a second option. My serial plotter is written in .Net if it help figure out if/how this can be done. Thanks Kevin

The IDE runs on many different platforms. You'd need to fork the IDE repo and write the Java code for your features, then create a pull request to have it merged into the master branch.

.Net or other platform specific code cannot be used.

However if we were to devise an API for attaching plugins to the IDE, then you could use all the specific code you like. This is also a big job to get it right.

yea thanks....

That's kind of what I thought.

As much as I'd like to support the community, I just don't have time to learn java and figure out everything. Maybe someday. Kevin