IDE - Print Cross Reference

My wish list item would be the ability to print a cross reference of where "define", "variable" and "function" are declared and used.
The cross reference should search all IDE tabs, and if desired show the line number for each declaration and use location.

Industrial PLC IDE's have this feature and it is very very useful.

Granted for 'small' programs it might not be needed, but as programs grow it becomes a very useful tool.

I am writing an Arduino program right now of greater than 20 pages of code and I am wishing I had this feature right now !

Thanks.
David

When people outgrow the regular IDE they often move t0 better ones either free or paid to get extra features.
The offering by Arduino is meant to be simple for as many as possible not full of bells and whistles.

k5dcm:
I am writing an Arduino program right now of greater than 20 pages of code and I am wishing I had this feature right now !

Writing something that large in the Arduio IDE must be absolutely painful.

Try Eclipse. There are a couple of different ways to compile Arduino code from there. Use it straight C/C++ or use the Arduino plugin or the Sloeber Plugin. Either way you get all the bells and whistles of a pro editor.

If you can't figure out how to get something like Eclipse configured then use Arduino IDE to compile but set it to use an external editor and then use Eclipse or Notepad++ or anything would be better than the Arduino IDE.

What you're talking about is like bringing kiddie toys to a grown-up job.

Fwiw, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a cross reference tool for C that does a good job once you take into account the usual extremely verbose but mostly unused .h files.

I’m a big fan of the gnu “Id utils”, but those are ClI tools, that you run outside of your editor...