IDE Question

Howdy

I notice on some screen shots of the IDE not only shows the size of the compiled code, but also the amount of variable memory used.

My question how do I turn on the variable memory size?

Thanks

Which board do you have selected from the Tools > Board menu? Unfortunately that output is not provided when compiling for certain boards. I'm not aware of how that would be resolved and I'm guessing if it was easy they would have done it already but it might be worth some investigation.

I am using "Arduino M0 Pro (Native USB Port)"

If my board does not have variable size apart of IDE, how can I check the it?

Arduino SAMD Boards not displaying that information is also what I've experienced. The relevant parts for Arduino AVR Boards (which does display this information) is here:

compiler.size.cmd=avr-size

and here:

## Compute size
recipe.size.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.size.cmd}" -A "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf"
recipe.size.regex=^(?:\.text|\.data|\.bootloader)\s+([0-9]+).*
recipe.size.regex.data=^(?:\.data|\.bss|\.noinit)\s+([0-9]+).*
recipe.size.regex.eeprom=^(?:\.eeprom)\s+([0-9]+).*

So you can see that the avr-size tool outputs all the necessary numbers and then a regular expression is used to parse the output.

In the case of Arduino SAMD Boards:

compiler.size.cmd=arm-none-eabi-size
## Compute size
recipe.size.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.size.cmd}" -A "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf"
recipe.size.regex=\.text\s+([0-9]+).*

So the logical first point of investigation would be the SAMD boards arm-none-eabi-size tool to see what information it is capable of providing.

Thanks for the great info :slight_smile:

I have one last question.
On the bottom left hand corner is a number(please see attach screen shot). What does that number mean?

IDE Number.jpg

It's the line number at the cursor.

OH OK Thanks.