IDE Refuses to install after 3 days trying everything

Help, Here is the error message I have been receiving for almost a full year of trying. I did give up trying for some time but now I really want to do some projects. The install that did work, sortof, but not all the time was removed. I still get the same error message when I try to re-install a new, clean installation. Originally I did change the drive from C: to D: for the reason space on my C: drive was getting low. I now cleaned the entire C: drive, AND MY ENTIRE COMPUTER of all occurrences of “Arduino”. There were 192 of them that I deleted. Still getting the same error message. I have looked at C:\program files (x86)\ arduino using file explorer and ‘search’ both this directory and the entire C: drive. All occurrences of anything that has the name ‘arduino’ in it and nothing is there. No files named Arduino at all. Many restarts and searched show no files and I have cleaned the entire drive of all junk and emptied the trash many times. Here is the error code.

Arduino Error Code.jpg

error code.pdf (11 KB)

This error is caused by deleting the Windows Installer version of the Arduino IDE, rather than going through the standard uninstall process.

Can you restore the C:\Program Files (x86) folder from your Recycle Bin? If you can do that, then you will be able to successfully update the Arduino IDE.

If that folder has been lost, the workaround is to use the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" download from the Software page. With that version of the Arduino IDE, there is no installation process. You just unzip the downloaded file and then put the unzipped folder any convenient place on your computer. You can just run the file arduino.exe that's inside that folder to start the Arduino IDE. You might like to create a shortcut to that file and put it somewhere convenient like in your Start menu.

Clean up instructions attached in case of a bad uninstall.

CLEAN UP BEFORE INSTALLING ANOTHER COPY OF THE IDE OR ARDUINO CREATE.pdf (347 KB)

Hello Pert ! You were right on the spot. Your suggestion led me in the correct direction. My Anti-Virus ( Emsisoft program ) had marked the Windows installer package part that enabled the IDE to be de-installed correctly. I did restore that file and removed the original IDE package correctly. Now the new clean install worked as it should and all is well. Thank you Pert so very much for your directions and pointing me to the correct way to go. I don't know if I could have done it without your help ! Thanks again. Oh, if I may, has any one been successful doing an install in a different drive rather than the C:\ drive ? . I am sure that caused most of my problems over the past year or so. Weird, Strange, and various error messages doing just simple tasks. I did not try that again since I removed all programs I was not using often. I found the extra space on my C:\ drive for the "Normal install ".Thanks Very - Very -Much. :)

I’m glad you found a solution! Thanks for sharing what you discovered. That could be very helpful to others who have the same problem and find this thread while searching for information.

DaveWreski:
has any one been successful doing an install in a different drive rather than the C:\ drive ?

Yes, I’ve done this a few times with no problem. I just tried installing Arduino IDE 1.8.9 to my E: drive to make sure there hadn’t been any new issues introduced since the last time I did it, and it worked fine. Was there anything special about the other drive you were trying to install to, like it being a network drive or something?