IDE rewrite project idea

I have been using Arduino IDE for a while, but I feel that the Arduino IDE is in the lack of a real syntax highlighter (instead of keywords.txt) and autocompletion. Those are nice features of Atmel Studio, NetBeans and Xcode.

I am trying to create a new Arduino-like IDE called OpenCode-Arduino, as a Arduino-like IDE with the real syntax highlighter and autocompletion in place. So far it will only work on recent versions of OS X as it is written in deep Objective-C and Cocoa.

Code sense is done using libclang: the C language front end of the clang compiler. This gives me real syntax highlighting, autocompletion and real-time error reporting with clang's infamous fix-it hints, all backed by a real world compiler. (LLVM won't be able to target AVR yet, but this does not hamper the use of its GCC-compatible frontend for syntax sensing.) However since there is no easy way to get clang frontend to work with sketches unless I keep running the preprocessor over and over again, I decided to forgo the sketch format and introduce a project setting file that stores libraries to link against. (and once LLVM began to work for AVR, its modules features can be used to automatically bring in libraries, half eliminating the need of the project settings file.)

I would like to know if there is anyone interested in working with me on this project.

Full marks for trying to create an improved system.

However I wonder if Arduino newbies will be aware of the difference and experienced users probably don’t use the IDE for writing code.

I use the Geany editor for Arduino programming because it is the same thing that I use for other programming.

…R

Robin2:
Full marks for trying to create an improved system.

However I wonder if Arduino newbies will be aware of the difference and experienced users probably don't use the IDE for writing code.

I use the Geany editor for Arduino programming because it is the same thing that I use for other programming.

...R

My primary workhorse of writing Arduino code is Xcode (with some fairly ugly hacks). My intention is to produce an IDE that is still newbie friendly yet being professional quality and full featured. Also the fix-it hints from clang can be VERY useful to newbies, and if I can figure out a way to make the static analyser work, help the professionals too.