IDE tab bar not enought wide for big sketch.

hi all
I found the tab bar where in the top of edit's window is not convenient .
Because I separated file to .cpp and .h for C standard I am used to , so by time then I found that is a very serious problem even I have got a 16:10 1080 monitor.
Could someone help me in this point , it's appreciated of any idea. thanks

Can you explain the problem in more detail, perhaps with a screen shot showing it ?
How many tabs do you have, for instance?

@UKHeliBob, when you have too many tabs open in the IDE you cannot select the off-screen tab buttons. There is no shift left/right button like most standard tab bars.

@lostgdi, you could either put some common functionality into a library ( only helps if an entire file can go... )
Or, combine your code files. Use nice big comment bars on the significant parts, makes it easy to find sections in large files. 1000 lines is not overly long if the file is well laid out.

when you have too many tabs open in the IDE you cannot select the off-screen tab buttons. There is no shift left/right button like most standard tab bars.

True, but the drop-down lets you select any tab in the project and make it the current one being edited. If you prefer not to take your hands from the keyboard then Ctrl/Alt/Left-Right arrows do the same thing.

If your sketch is that complex, you might want to consider a different IDE. Folks on the forums mention using Visual Studio or Eclipse occasionally.

Use a better IDE.

Rob

UKHeliBob:

when you have too many tabs open in the IDE you cannot select the off-screen tab buttons. There is no shift left/right button like most standard tab bars.

True, but the drop-down lets you select any tab in the project and make it the current one being edited. If you prefer not to take your hands from the keyboard then Ctrl/Alt/Left-Right arrows do the same thing.

True that, didn't think of the drop down.
So I maxed it out, it seems 1.5.2 includes scroll up/down bits on the menu whereas 1.0.5 will extend past the screen. All good though, by the time you hit that many files there surely has to be something suitable for a library.

I guess people with a vision impairment may find 1.0.5 annoying if they use a small resolution.

thanks UKHeliBob.
I don't think the drop up/down is convenient yet.
I don't have vision problem, but obviously the drop up / down button is covering above the file on the bar right side. it's look weird.
I was supposed that a way to expending the bar a little heigh automatically.
I am going make some libs instead, but as you know, those "libs" are for internal skech only, not a formal libs.... it's also sound werid......

Graynomad:
Use a better IDE.

Rob

Hi could you tell me which IDE can I have?

I usually use Atmel Studio 6.1 with the Visual Micro plugin.

A friend uses Eclipse with the plugin by Jantje (he's a member, search on the forum for the thread about it), he says that's good as well.

Also lately I've been using UECIDE for simple stuff. It's nice but I don't know how it will do in your case with too many tabs as I've not got that far with it.

The thing with a real IDE is that you don't have to have all the files open, just the ones you are working on. Whereas (I think) in the Arduino IDE they do have to be open.

Rob

Graynomad:
I usually use Atmel Studio 6.1 with the Visual Micro plugin.

A friend uses Eclipse with the plugin by Jantje (he's a member, search on the forum for the thread about it), he says that's good as well.

Also lately I've been using UECIDE for simple stuff. It's nice but I don't know how it will do in your case with too many tabs as I've not got that far with it.

The thing with a real IDE is that you don't have to have all the files open, just the ones you are working on. Whereas (I think) in the Arduino IDE they do have to be open.

Rob

I have tried and struggled in Eclipse's Arudino version editor. it's so beyond me even I was stuck at being configure. I am going to resolved it as libs way after all...
but thank you all the same.

Graynomad wrote:

A friend uses Eclipse with the plugin by Jantje ... he says that's good as well.

It is, I use it on both OSX and Linux.

My Eclipse setup on OSX I set up the long method, whereby I setup the Eclipse IDE and then I included the Arduino pluging from Jantje.

For the linux laptop, I simply downloaded a single package from Jantje's site that has everything already setup and ready to go. It really couldn't be any simpler.

There are pakages there for all three major platforms, so take your pick and download.
I would encourage you to take a look at Jantje's site Arduino Eclipse IDE named Sloeber - Welcome!
Then simply head to the nightly builds and select your preference.

For me, the standard Arduino IDE was great to play around with for basic projects, and soon was looking for an IDE that would suit my needs to handle more complex setups.
As well, on my Mac, I usually have two windows open at the same time, one for my current Arduino project and another for HTML/JS/PHP things. I have found it to be very competent at doing all I need.

Let us know what you think.

Paul

rockwallaby:
Graynomad wrote:

A friend uses Eclipse with the plugin by Jantje ... he says that's good as well.

It is, I use it on both OSX and Linux.

My Eclipse setup on OSX I set up the long method, whereby I setup the Eclipse IDE and then I included the Arduino pluging from Jantje.

For the linux laptop, I simply downloaded a single package from Jantje's site that has everything already setup and ready to go. It really couldn't be any simpler.

There are pakages there for all three major platforms, so take your pick and download.
I would encourage you to take a look at Jantje's site Arduino Eclipse IDE named Sloeber - Welcome!
Then simply head to the nightly builds and select your preference.

For me, the standard Arduino IDE was great to play around with for basic projects, and soon was looking for an IDE that would suit my needs to handle more complex setups.
As well, on my Mac, I usually have two windows open at the same time, one for my current Arduino project and another for HTML/JS/PHP things. I have found it to be very competent at doing all I need.

Let us know what you think.

Paul

Hi paul , thanks for your responed.
I also a CSS/PHP (front/back end Designer ) too. I am so happy that you are. I am newbie to Arduino. that sound like I can meet a lots here who have in common.
I am doing some project involved schedule , sensor things, commnunity between (arduino)stations and computer(or even mobile ) with Wifi module. I seperate all the code from difference functions, even so I found the origanial IDE is still not suitable to me , especially that more functions incoming.
And I am working along since now. So I am not get used to perforem with multiple computer as the version control plannig. and unforturnately I have a lot of reference 's resource all store in local computer only. some time I just get them out for the new project or doing experiment is totally unconvenient.
The eclipse arudino I have spend another few hours after your responed , and finally get failure in installation.
Conserdering the installation and the small project of arduino , I am going to abandon and use the original IED again.
thanks all.