IDE worked before now only get splash screen windows 8.1

Hi;

I was using the Arduino IDE on Windows 8.1 and things worked well. I was away from the Arduino for a while and now windows won't open the IDE. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but still only get the splash screen. I use this laptop for many things and don't remember all the programs that have come and gone since the IDE worked. Any ideas as what to try to get it working again. No errors just the splash then nothing.

Thanks

I'm having a similar issue here as well. Running Vista 64 bit. Arduino worked fine a few months ago and now I just get the splash screen, then nothing. I've googled and tried several things. I'm not Java savvy and all the Java install options are confusing... Removed all Java and reinstalled latest Java development kit and runtime, Java SE Development kit 8 update 5 (64 bit) and Java 7 update 60 (64 bit) runtime. Now I am getting an error:

The registry refers to a nonexistent Java development kit installation or the runtime is corrupted.
The system cannot find the file specified.

Tried running as administrator. Tried deleting the preferences.txt. None have worked.

From reading other posts and running with the debug option it looks like java is trying to run in 64 bit mode which will not work according to a post I found, but I don't know how to fix this problem.

SomeAssembly, try running arduino from a command line and add the debug option "arduino.exe --l4j-debug". There should be a launch4j.log file generated. Are you running 8.1 64 bit? Maybe our problems are related?

My log file:

CmdLine: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino.exe --l4j-debug
WOW64: yes
Working dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino.
Bundled JRE: java
Check launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\java\bin\javaw.exe (n/a)
64-bit search: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment...
Match: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.7
Match: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.7.0_60
Match: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.8
Match: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.8.0_05
Using 64-bit runtime.
64-bit search: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit...
Ignore: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit\1.8
Ignore: SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit\1.8.0_05
Using 64-bit runtime.
Check launcher: C:\Program Files\Java\jre8\bin\javaw.exe (n/a)
Error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Thanks for the help,
Steve

One more interesting thing, the file C:\Program Files\Java\jre8\bin\javaw.exe exists after a clean install but disappears after trying to run the IDE for the first time. Edit, it is actually C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\java\bin\javaw.exe that disappears after the first launch. Any help here?

Any help?

After a clean install and running the first time, I get this log:

CmdLine: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino.exe --l4j-debug
WOW64: yes
Working dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino.
Bundled JRE: java
Check launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\java\bin\javaw.exe (OK)
Add classpath: lib\pde.jar
Add classpath: lib\core.jar
Add classpath: lib\jna.jar
Add classpath: lib\ecj.jar
Add classpath: lib\RXTXcomm.jar
Launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\java\bin\javaw.exe
Launcher args: -Xms128m -Xmx128m -classpath "lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\java\lib\tools.jar;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\ecj.jar;lib\RXTXcomm.jar" processing.app.Base
Args length: 170/32768 chars
Exit code: 0

The OK indicates that javaw.exe is found but disappears...

Check launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\java\bin\javaw.exe (OK)

Seriously? No help with this?

Had the same and I got bored and installed 1.6.5 instead from: