Ideas for an honours thesis anyone?

G’Day all.

I’m enrolled and about to start a year of Computer Science (honours) for which I need to write an honours thesis. At the moment, I’m thinking of doing more a survey type thing to build a system to document how virtual reality can assist in the learning process for young students, and how making such a system on a gaming platform (such as the XBox 360) has an impact to the attitudes towards learning…

but am not 100% sure it’s what I want to do. I like tinkering with the Arduino (so much so, and I’m not half bad at it :P) so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for an honours thesis they could suggest? I was thinking of making a heart rate monitor and build a system that could monitor estimated energy consumption and how much your burning as to assist in the weight loss process (think embedded WiFi to interface with the iPhone), but there is already a wrist watch that does just a good of a job sigh

I’d be much obliged if you could send any ideas this way :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Scotty

heart rate monitor / A car mounted gps. Spots when you’re driving and have an elevated heart rate. Tells you to chill out or pull over. Perhaps galvanic skin response too? Boils down to a systems integration project.

hmm (personally) never have an elevated heart rate while driving unless something unexpected happens… You might want to get that checked out :stuck_out_tongue:

hmm (personally) never have an elevated heart rate while driving

How do you know? Have you monitored it.

I once gave a lecturer to about 150 people and I was feeling very relaxed. One thing I was showing was a heart rate monitor, so I pluged it in to myself and was astonished to see it read 130 bpm, and I didn’t feel a thing because I was so used to giving talks in public.

Yeah but I don’t think it’s something I could write a compsci thesis about. Is there some internal arduino stuff that hasn’t been explored yet??

So how old are you, how much compsci background do you already have, what is the class supposed to include, what is the teacher’s background (especially WRT microcontrollers as opposed to desktop programming), and is this supposed to be more of a “thesis” or a “project” ?

“Interfacing Real World Sensors to using Arduino” seems like a pretty catch-all title that might work well and give you a broad space to explore in more or less detail as time and interest dictate…

So how old are you, how much compsci background do you already have, what is the class supposed to include, what is the teacher’s background (especially WRT microcontrollers as opposed to desktop programming), and is this supposed to be more of a “thesis” or a “project” ?

“Interfacing Real World Sensors to using Arduino” seems like a pretty catch-all title that might work well and give you a broad space to explore in more or less detail as time and interest dictate…

I’ve graduated from Comp Sci with a distinction average :slight_smile: and am 21 years old. It’s supposed to be more of a thesis then a project, (ie. a project can be built to prove the theories in your thesis, but it’s the piece of paper in the end that counts.)

I like the idea of a “Interfacing real world sensors to using Arduino”, but feel it’d be more of a project then it would research. My supervisor, although specializes in 3D graphics did the equivalent of a double degree in Comp Sci and Electrical engineering so is pretty able to help give advice and direction (once the idea is there anyway :P)

“Real World Sensors for Commodity Desktop Computers - Comparison of Networking Strategies and Local Connections”
Compare Bluetooth vs Zigbee vs Ethernet vs Firmata vs “Serial” USB vs “real” USB.
I guess Arduino cheats, by making most things look like serial ports, but it could be one of several datapoints. I claim that the portability you gain by using a low common denominator (like serial) is interesting (and a bit depressing), for example. The whole subject of very powerful desktop PCs that have such difficulty relating to real-world stuff is … annoying.

How about Arduino and Micro$oft Hohm?
Nice and topical.