Ideas for Christmas!!

Hello guys, I have an arduino but isn’t mine, I will buy an ArduinoUNO this week or the next and I want to do something special for christmas, any idea?? any video of an older proyect you made?

I’m not sure about what kind if stuff I want, but I think lights (LEDS) show could be an option.

Thank you!!!

P.S> I already saw the exhibition forum but theres anything about christmas.

; :smiley:

Hello there!

Think of a “interactive” Light-Installation in its very basic way:

Connect two or three Led-Christmas fairy lights to the arduino and have them interacting with people passing by - eg by IR-Diodes or Motion Sensors.

Greetings

That would be cool. The arduino would also be small enough to make an interactive ornament.
We have a family tradition where a bell mysteriously rings at a certain moment. It involves a family member secretly ringing the bell and hiding it somehow. I’m going to use an IR sensor, activate it with a TV remote, a servo will pull out a pin and make a bell swing down and ring.
I was also thinking about a water-level monitor for the christmas tree’s water.

drop the board and use a tiny it would for sure be small enough for a ornament

the tree water alarm is a good idea too, so is the bell as long as you hide it before hand instead of after, though IR means line of sight, you could use a simple 1 way radio

a thing I will be doing is replacing the cheesy incandescent lights in our star with a couple few decent output RGB leds and a slow starburst fade pattern (I think there is a grand total of 8 lights in the thing now and its very even with the glass diffusion so it should be no magic trick with a tiny, some proper drivers and a celphone charger hidden in the tree)

You could also use glass blocks and leds and incorporate the above suggestions or experiment on your own. You can drill a hole in the bottom of the block. Use garland around the bottom to hide the arduino.

Hey here are very good ideas.

Do you think leds can iluminate windows?

I have 4 windows (Big windows) maybe 1 meter side to side, 1.20 bottom to top, and I was thinking add leds paralell to the window to simulate the light a led produce inside a block of acrilic but I’n not sure if it will work fine.

Also I have like 6 trees, and maybe I can get some cheap light hose for trees, like this:

And make a sequence, I dont know, this are my first ideas maybe none of this will be the final proyect but Im sure at least I will made a show with some leds inside spheres of cristal or something simple like that.

I still receive ideas from you guys!!
Thank YOU

I’ve had lots of grand ideas for Xmas displays but this is the only one I ever built:

(see http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1225239439/56#56)

Andrew

My colleague just pulled a string of USB powered fairy lights out of her desk drawer, I’m now inspired to make something better.

I have a 1’ tall solid tree type thing (it’s made out of wire) that I’ll be adding lights to, I may also use a small buzzer to have a christmassy tune play any time someone walks by.

This is what I did last year with my Christmas heat sink at work. I pulled it from a skip in my first job in 1967, it comes out every year, last year it was arduino powered.

I may also use a small buzzer to have a christmassy tune play any time someone walks by.

You have to be careful doing that sort of thing in the U.S.: some states have laws that allow people to bring guns to work ::slight_smile:

You have to be careful doing that sort of thing in the U.S.: some states have laws that allow people to bring guns to work

Fortunately I’m British and nearly everyone at work has done conflict resolution training, so I shouldn’t even get hit.

Hopefully nobody “resolves” the “conflict” by destroying your Arduino.

We’re having a Nightmare before Xmas themed party this year. Was thinking of making a life-sized Jack Skelington (just a plywood cut out painted) and putting a motion sensor that will flash his eyes red when someone comes up. Bonus would be if I could make a sound file play. Not sure how to go about that though.

Bonus would be if I could make a sound file play. Not sure how to go about that though.

There’s an MP3 shield that’d do it.

Ya, I’d seen that before but for some reason I was thinking it was quite expensive. Looks like there is one for about $22 which isn’t too bad. I was planning on pulling apart an old MP3 player I had and wiring up the controls to the Arduino but it just sounds like a lot of work that I wouldn’t mind spending $22 on to not have to do.

That’s a great idea! I have an original MPMan with 32MB onboard, I might cannibalise it.

wife used to work in promotional marking for high-tech companies (adobe, cisco, etc) so we always had good stuff lying around. have at least 3 or 4 cheap Taiwan made MP3 players lying around 128 or 256mb. The more I think about it the more I think it might be pretty easy. I wanted it to play a random clip but i could easily do that by just advancing the tracks some random amount (i think they loop around) then playing a track. Then monitor the sound output on in incoming pin for when it stops and hit pause so it doesn’t keep going. Same monitoring pin could say “while sound is playing flash the eyes”.

Guess I just had to talk it out. Thanks. :slight_smile: