Ideas for mounting servo to deadbolt?

Howdy!

I am stumped on how I can mount a servo motor to my dead bolt lock. I live in an apartment so I can't modify anything which is a bummer but also part of the fun. Hardware and brackets are not my forte so I am hoping someone has clever ideas for mounting things.

Parts: HS-322HD Servo Dead bolt lock

Here are some pictures of the dead bolt situation: Dead bolt in Locked position |281x500

Deadbolt in unlocked position |281x500

Relative positioning of servo and dead bolt |281x500

This is a side view of the handle/lock plate, I think I can clamp somethibng here but I'm unfamiliar with the hardware to look for. Erector sets maybe? |281x500

Looks like it would be easier to mount the servo below or beside the dead-bolt actuator and link the servo arm to it with a strip of metal or plastic.

...R

Surely you can buy electrically activated bolts... much neater and easier than modifying this one.

regards

Allan

I would 3D print a part that fits onto the lever. Alternatively, make one from wood.

lg, couka

allanhurst: Surely you can buy electrically activated bolts... much neater and easier than modifying this one.

regards

Allan

Probably, but I want to do it this way if I can. I don't care how it looks.

Robin2: Looks like it would be easier to mount the servo below or beside the dead-bolt actuator and link the servo arm to it with a strip of metal or plastic.

...R

I was thinking something similar. Do you have any suggestions for what kind of metal and where to get it?

couka: I would 3D print a part that fits onto the lever. Alternatively, make one from wood.

lg, couka

Perfect reason to get that 3D printer :)

Clean it really well and epoxy something you can link to the servo.

Looks to be smooth stainless steel which should allow your device to be popped off when necessary.

Paul

No removable grub screw or pin so you could take the lever/handle thingy off?

crawforc3: I was thinking something similar. Do you have any suggestions for what kind of metal and where to get it?

Many hardware and DIY stores sell aluminium angle. It comes in different widths, It is easy to cut with a small hacksaw and easy to drill and file. And the finish is good as long as you are careful not to muck it up.

You should also be able to get pieces of stainless steel (and maybe aluminium or brass) that are made for protectors on doors. But be aware that stainless steel is very difficult to work with.

...R

Robin2: Many hardware and DIY stores sell aluminium angle. It comes in different widths, It is easy to cut with a small hacksaw and easy to drill and file. And the finish is good as long as you are careful not to muck it up.

You should also be able to get pieces of stainless steel (and maybe aluminium or brass) that are made for protectors on doors. But be aware that stainless steel is very difficult to work with.

...R

So I looked into all the different kinds of aluminum angles and adhesives. I ran across these things called MakerBeams which seem pretty close to an erector set and Sugru which is some kind of moldable adhesive that apparently sticks to anything!

I think I can definitely get the servo mounted with these items but will need to tinker around to figure out how to link the servo and dead bolt.

Thanks for the tips!

I would cut a piece of flashing or similar thin gauge metal to fit over the knob/lock assembly, from the bottom to just under the deadbolt. Drill a large hole to fit the swing knob through, and 2 small holes for those assembly screws through and now you have a very secure surface to mount the aluminum angle piece to.

Do what I did and use some extra string from window blinds - they’re super strong!

Also, use a metal servo arm rather than a plastic one. The plastic gets shredded after a while, inside the part where the arm attaches and screws to the servo.